Emilio Ballack, the son of former Germany and Chelsea midfielder Michael Ballack, has died at the age of 18.
The teenager was involved in a quad-bike accident which police told Reuters took place in the early hours of Thursday morning south of Lisbon.
Michael Ballack’s former clubs Chelsea, Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen sent messages of condolence to the family.
Oliver Kahn, who played alongside him for Germany and Bayern Munich, said he was “shook deeply” by the news.
“There are no words at a time like this,” Khan said in a statement on Bayern Munich’s website.
The German club said it was “united in grief with its long-serving player and his family”.
Chelsea, where Ballack won the Premier League title, League Cup and FA Cup three times, said they were “shocked and saddened” to learn of Emilio’s death.
Ballack played for Leverkusen from 1999 to 2002 and 2010 to 2012, and their sporting director Rudi Voller said: “The news came as a shock and it’s hit me very hard.
“We mourn for the lad and our thoughts are with Michael and Simone.”
German fourth-tier side Chemitzer FC said Emilio, who was the grandson of their supervisory board member Stephan Ballack, had completed a three-week internship with the club in 2019.
“Chemnitzer FC expresses its deeply felt sympathy for the Ballack family and wishes all relatives a lot of strength in this difficult time,” they said in a statement.
Former Chelsea captain John Terry wrote on Instagram: “Words can’t describe how heartbroken I am.”
- ‘I’m a bad person, and I need to die’ – Sex predator confesses as police arrest him
- Burna Boy raps Black Sherif’s Second Sermon word for word
- Full video: The licensed sex predator
- Court remands police officer who freed criminal in exchange for sex
- Sex Predator: Ohene Nkunim is not licensed to practice Physiotherapy – Ghana Physiotherapy Association
- Highlife legend, Nana Kwame Ampadu passes on
- Two decades of marriage ended after I found out my second child wasn’t mine – Joy FM Listener
- Government acquiring a new Presidential aircraft – Eugene Arhin
- Cape Coast Assembly rejects Ernest Arthur’s nomination as MCE
- R. Kelly found guilty in sex trafficking trial
ECA and AUDA –NEPAD renew partnership to enhance sustainable growth in Africa
Police arrest Owusu Bempah’s aide
Palm wine tapper jailed for illegal possession of firearm
Ahinsan-Bosomtwe road to be completed by December 2021 – MCE
Ashanti Floods: Four confirmed dead, two still missing in Monday night’s flood
Offinso chiefs bent on taking firm decision to curb ‘sakawa’ menace – Linguist
Ghana’s Electric Cars Transition: Combating Climate Change ‘Trotro’ Way
Nana Ampadu was like a father to me – Akosua Agyepong mourns highlife legend
He was the steel of the Highlife genre – GHAMRO CEO eulogies late Nana Ampadu
Tourism Ministry optimistic about growth of the industry- Okraku-Mantey
Zanetor Rawlings urges permanent solution to nomadic herdsmen crisis
Full video: The licensed sex predator
Global Affairs Canada funded non-governmental organisations forum held in Tamale
Kanye West updates ‘DONDA’, removes Chris Brown from album
US General Mark Milley faces questions on Afghanistan