Audio By Carbonatix
The Director of Elections and Information Technology (IT) for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the 2024 elections, Dr Edward Omane Boamah, says the NDC was fully prepared to respond decisively if the New Patriotic Party (NPP) attempted a cyber-attack on its election monitoring and collation system.
According to him, based on past experiences, the party had invested heavily in technology and human resources for the recent election, and there was no way their collation system could be hacked without a response.
“We entered this election fully prepared, and when we got to collation, you would understand how we sent a clear message to the NPP that they dare not attempt any cyber-attack. The slightest hint of a cyber-attack, and we were going to respond ruthlessly,” he said.
He added, “If we felt our system had been attacked, we would respond appropriately and disproportionately.”
Speaking on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show on Wednesday, December 11, Dr Omane Boamah further disclosed that the NDC was not going into the polls passively, allowing the NPP to cheat them, saying, “We were not going to enter this election with our hands tied behind our backs, watching the NPP cheat us, only to come back and cry.”
He said, “The good thing was that the NPP didn’t attempt an attack on us, so we both collated our results," leading to the NDC's resounding victory in both the parliamentary and presidential races on Saturday.
Dr Omane Boamah explained that, unlike the 2020 elections, the NDC invested in all aspects of the electoral process this year.
In the previous election, the NDC alleged that the NPP had hacked their system and rigged the votes, which resulted in their victory. Regarding human resources to protect the votes, he mentioned that 153,000 individuals were trained on how to protect the ballot papers and pink sheets.
In terms of IT-related resources, the party distributed laptop computers to shortlisted trainees who served as polling station agents. Dr Omane Boamah believes these investments helped secure their victory, free from any attacks on their system by the outgoing NPP government.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
21 minutes -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
26 minutes -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
42 minutes -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
2 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
2 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
2 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
3 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
3 hours -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
3 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
3 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
3 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
3 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
3 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
4 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
4 hours