Audio By Carbonatix
Some three police officers and three others accused of the death and secret burial of 48-year-old Abu Bukari Gbaharah at Seikwa in the Bono Region have today been remanded again for two weeks.
The late Abu, who has been officially buried by his family, was allegedly tortured by the police officers while in custody leading to his death.
The deceased who had been arrested for allegedly smashing the rear windscreen of a Toyota Highlander belonging to one of the accused persons was then secretly buried without the knowledge of the authorities.
Two weeks ago, the 6 accused persons were charged on two counts; conspiracy to commit a crime, to wit: Murder, contrary to section 23(1) and 46 of the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29), and murder.
The District Magistrate Court B in Sunyani presided over by His Lordship Jojo Hagan, remanded them to reappear on May 11.
At their second appearance, the police officers who covered their faces from the camera and onlookers, including some close relatives, were directed to reappear again in court on May 25.
Three of the accused persons, Aaron Abbey and Reuben Obeng, security guards at a bank, and Emmanuel Ofori, a bank manager, according to the prosecutor, have filed bail at the High court.
Speaking to JoyNews, the prosecutor, Supt. Joseph Apaloo said the case is still under investigation.
He also added that “A3 didn’t come to court because he said he is sick and he’s on admission at the municipal hospital. And as I told the court, we have received an application for bail in respect of A1, A2 and A3”.
“It was filed at the high court which will come on, on the 14th of next month so I brought that to the attention of the high court. So AG will represent us at the high court.”
Meanwhile, spokesperson for the family of the deceased, Mohammed Abubakar said they are satisfied with the process so far.
“The case is with the court and we have also spoken to our lawyer and he says everything is on course so we are happy with what is going on at the moment,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
33 minutes -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
37 minutes -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
51 minutes -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
1 hour -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
1 hour -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
2 hours -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
2 hours -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
2 hours -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
2 hours -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
2 hours -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
2 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
2 hours -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
2 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
2 hours -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
2 hours