Audio By Carbonatix
The two main political parties in the country – New Patriotic Party (NPP) and National Democratic Congress (NDC) – have finally resolved their differences paving way for the historic meeting to resolve threats of party militia.
This follows a letter written by the General Secretary of the governing NPP, John Boadu, to the National Peace Council agreeing to opposition NDC’s call to allow the Council to mediate the process.
Though the NPP expressed unhappiness over the NDC’s refusal to set a date and venue for the meeting last week, the party, however, stated its willingness to make the necessary compromise to help find a lasting solution to party militias.
The NPP in a letter to the Council on Monday said it had taken notice of NDC’s request for a broader stakeholder engagement including the possibility of having a mediator.
“Whilst the NPP has absolutely no difficulty with their request, we are unsure, firstly, about the nature of the mediation, the extent of the stakeholder engagements, and which stakeholders should be invited, especially because they (the NDC) also suggested that some international organization including the ECOWAS and AU be involved,” the party said.
The party explained that in the midst of their uncertainty, it indicated to the NDC the need for the two of them to first of all meet and agree on modalities for the engagement.
Asiedu Nketia is the NDC General Secretary
“We, also, in the spirit of goodwill, gave them the option of choosing a venue and deciding on the day in the course of last week, for the preliminary meeting. Regrettably, they never got back to us on the issue of date and venue as we requested,” the NPP said.
According to Mr. Boadu, the NDC wrote back to say it has requested the National Peace Council to moderate the meeting as well as decide on date and venue.
“Whilst this appears to be inconsistent with our request, the NPP is nonetheless willing to make the necessary compromise in relation to the party’s initial position on the matter, and accordingly avail itself for your direction,” the letter stated.
The governing party stated that it has “absolute confidence” in the Council to competently assume the role of moderator in the deliberations and to help find a lasting solution to the canker of party militia.
In response to the letter, Acting Secretary of the Council, George Amoah on Tuesday wrote back to the NDC informing the party of the NPP’s stance on its suggestions as well as their willingness to go ahead with the meeting.
“The chairman wants to assure you that the National Peace Council would follow up with a schedule for the planned engagement in our earliest convenience.
Latest Stories
-
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
13 minutes -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
3 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
3 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
3 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
3 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
3 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
3 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
3 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
3 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
3 hours