Audio By Carbonatix
The National Identification Authority (NIA) is scaling up the mass registration exercise for national identification card, with the Volta Region as the next port of call.
The exercise which is meant to register Ghanaians aged 15 years and above, will begin in the Volta Region today, July 22 to August 14, 2019.
Afterwards, the registration will continue in the adjoining Oti Region from August 22, this year.
The Communication Officer of NIA, Assistant Commissioner of Immigration (ACI) Mr Francis Palmdeti, who disclosed this to the Daily Graphic last Friday, said the NIA team was optimistic of registering at least 80 per cent of the targeted population in the region within the registration period.
He added that logistics and preparations that were required to ensure a smooth registration process had been carried out.
Exercise
The NIA started the registration exercise for the National ID Card, known as the Ghana Card, in the Greater Accra Region after it had registered some key state institutions such as the Office of the President, Parliament and other ministries, departments and agencies (MDAs).
The exercise in the region, was, however, bedevilled with challenges, including long queues by prospective registrants, network failures, allegations of illegal payments to NIA officials and fronting for foreigners.
"We are hoping that the centres in the Volta Region will have good access to Internet connectivity; but if we encounter bad network situation and are unable to print cards instantly, we will do deferred printing," he indicated.
Interventions
Mr Palmdeti said the NIA was establishing what was known as print farms in every region to serve as the centre for deferred printing of cards.
He urged members of the public to cooperate with NIA's registration officials to prevent some of the challenges.
"We want to urge people not to jump queues; do not influence our officials with money to be registered because registration is free; and do not front for any non-Ghanaian because it is criminal to do so," Mr Palmdeti added.
Background
The mass registration of eligible Ghanaians for the Ghana Card started on Monday, April 29, with the Greater Accra Region and ended on Saturday, July 6, this year.
Eighty-five per cent of Ghanaians are expected to be captured at the end of the mass exercise.
Applicants are to provide either a genuine birth certificate or a valid Ghanaian Passport; or a valid certificate of acquired citizenship, with a Ghana Post Digital Address Code as mandatory documents.
Additionally, information on the applicant’s National Health Insurance Card, Voter Identification Card, Driver’s Licence and Social Security and National Insurance Trust (SSNIT) biometric card are captured.
Latest Stories
-
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
2 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
2 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
2 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
2 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
2 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
2 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
2 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
2 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
2 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
2 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
2 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
2 hours -
Gov’t disburses GH¢23.1bn to clear road contractors’ arrears – Roads Minister
3 hours