Audio By Carbonatix
The 2020 Geneva Motor Show is canceled after the Swiss government banned gatherings of 1,000 people or more on Friday due to concerns over the coronavirus. The ban is effective immediately and runs at least until March 15th. The 90th edition of GIMS was scheduled to start next week.
“We regret this situation, but the health of all participants is our and our exhibitors’ top priority. This is a case of force majeure and a tremendous loss for the manufacturers who have invested massively in their presence in Geneva. However, we are convinced that they will understand this decision,” said motor show chairman Maurice Turrettini in a statement. Tickets already purchased for the event will be refunded.
The Geneva Motor Show isn’t the biggest car show in the world, but it’s the one where automakers typically like to announce their flashiest, most future-facing vehicles and concepts. Last year we saw the debut of “megacars” like the Koenigsegg Jesko, VW’s electric dune buggy concept, and the Pininfarina Battista, one of the fastest electric vehicles on the planet.
Geneva is the latest trade show to get the axe following the coronavirus outbreak. In the tech world, the most notable have been the cancellation of Mobile World Congress, which is the biggest smartphone show in the world, and Facebook’s F8 developer conference. Some sporting events have been cancelled, too. Both Formula One and Formula E have canceled races in China, and the International Olympic Committee has faced increasing questions about this year’s summer olympics in Japan.
Palexpo, the foundation that puts on the Geneva Motor Show, had tried to keep it afloat by issuing a slate of warnings to attendees. It said it would increase the rate of cleaning and disinfection around the convention center, asked exhibitors from “at-risk areas” to screen their staff, and advised attendees to regularly wash their hands and also keep at least three feet away from anyone “who is coughing or sneezing.”
At least two automakers that had planned to attend have said they will do “digital press conferences instead. BMW said Friday it now will unveil its i4 electric concept sedan via digital press conference on Tuesday, March 3rd, while Mercedes-Benz will announce its new E-Class in a similar manner. Pininfarina told The Verge that it will simply release information about its planned announcement online, but that it’s also “discussing ideas for a physical world premiere to follow.”
Fiat Chrysler has “no plan B, but [said] it was considering ways to show off a new electric Fiat 500,” according to Reuters, while Audi told the outlet that it would digitally release information about its new Audi A3 sportback and Audi E-Tron S.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Visible name tags for health staff non-negotiable – Health Minister
7 minutes -
Gyakie pays tribute to Ebo Taylor, credits him for shaping her sound on BBC
29 minutes -
Inusah Fuseini backs OSP amid dismissed petitions
47 minutes -
Hajia Amenu calls for youth engagement and cautions against galamsey
54 minutes -
CJ dismissal of EC, OSP leadership petitions strengthens institutions – Inusah Fuseini
2 hours -
Inusah Fuseini calls for stronger cocoa production systems
2 hours -
Burkina Faso attack: Hajia Amenu urges support for local produce; calls for protection of women, children
2 hours -
Freedom isn’t enough, State must protect citizens — Inusah Fuseini on sex exploitation
2 hours -
Russian sex video: Diplomacy alone not enough, Ghana must reinforce internal security – Effia MP
3 hours -
GHS condemns attacks on staff, pledges enhanced security measures
3 hours -
Ghana must strengthen cybersecurity amid online exploitation concerns – Gloria Amenu
4 hours -
Demand TikTok remove explicit videos of victims – Gloria Amenu urges gov’t
4 hours -
Gender Ministry must provide psychological care for exploited women – Gloria Amenu
4 hours -
Trump lashes out at Supreme Court justices over tariffs ruling
5 hours -
Refrain from mass marketing or public promotional campaigns on virtual assets – BoG to VASPs
6 hours
