Audio By Carbonatix
At least 50 people have been killed by bandits in attacks on five communities in Faskari Local Government Area of Katsina State.
Dozens of bandits are reported to have attacked the communities of Kadisau, Kabalawa, Kwakware, Unguwar Wahabi, and Raudama on Tuesday, June 9, 2020, according to The Guardian.
It is said, the bandits attacked the people of Kadisau in the evening when residents were preparing for prayers and killed about 30 of them.
The bandits set houses and food stores on fire, and also stole domestic animals including cows, goats, and sheep.
They also reportedly raped several women in the area, according to a source that spoke to The Guardian.
The attacks happened just hours after youths in Yantumaki village in Katsina protested the incessant attacks on their community.
The protesters burned posters of President Muhammadu Buhari, a native of Katsina, and demanded that the government does more to protect their lives and property.
After a meeting with Katsina State governor, Aminu Bello Masari, last week, Buhari assured him and residents of the state that bandits will not be spared.
He said more decisive military operations will be undertaken against bandits in Katsina and other troubled states including Zamfara, Sokoto, Niger, and Kaduna.
"President Buhari warned bandits to surrender their weapons, or face 'disgraceful and violent ends'," a statement by the presidency read.
Members of the House of Representatives, debating attacks in other parts of the country on Wednesday, June 10, advocated for Nigerians to legally bear arms so as to be able to protect themselves against criminal elements.
The lawmakers expressed their low confidence in the ability of security operatives in the country to protect Nigerian lives and property.
Latest Stories
-
Fact-based response to misleading narratives on JG Resources Ltd’s gold trade dispute
1 minute -
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
22 minutes -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
39 minutes -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
49 minutes -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
52 minutes -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
58 minutes -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
1 hour -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
1 hour -
Ghana’s economy still vulnerable to commodity swings and global tightening – PwC warns
1 hour -
GCAA asked to prioritise airspace safety
1 hour -
CPC welcomes 50% local cocoa processing directive
1 hour -
AU Summit: Mahama, UN Chief discuss African security
1 hour -
DOPASS students eat in an open shed
1 hour -
NPA raises price floor for Feb. 16 window; petrol up to GH¢10.24, diesel pegged at GH¢11.34
1 hour -
Police foil massive narcotics smuggling, reject GH¢80k bribe, seven arrested
1 hour
