Audio By Carbonatix
The Attorney General’s Office has pressed criminal charges against former Works and Housing Minister Collins Dauda.
This is his role in the controversial Saglemi housing project, which government officials have since 2017 described its cost as inflated.
Another politician who served as Minister for the same sector during the NDC administration, Kwaku Agyemang Mensah, is charged alongside Mr Dauda and three others.
The others are Ziblim Yakubu, a former Chief Director at the Ministry; Andrew Clocanas, the Executive Chairman of Construtora OAS Ghana Limited; and one Novi Tetteh Angelo.
Government had earlier claimed an audit report submitted by the Ghana Institution of Surveyors on the Saglemi Housing project; it had revealed that over $114 million has been embezzled by the NDC administration.
According to then Minister Samuel Atta-Akyea, the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the police had interrogated his predecessor and other Ministers in the Mahama era for allegedly ‘inflating’ 1,500 units of Saglemi Affordable Housing Projects.
He said this was a clear indication that the NDC cannot be entrusted with Ghana’s housing sector should they be voted back into power.
“The Ghana Institute of Surveyors have come out with a report showing that what is on the ground, measured against the money received, will bring out a huge figure of about $114 million”.
Reading from a report signed by the President of the Ghana Institute of Surveyors, Dr John Amaglo, he said: “It is stated in black and white that the amount paid to the contractor is $179,904,752.5.
It is stated clearly that the total works on the ground is $64 million; the difference is what gives you the $114 million I’m talking about.”
The 2,172 acres on which the Saglemi housing project is situated was procured in 2002 during the era of President John Agyekum Kufuor.
On August 15, 2012, the late President John Evans Atta Mills gave executive approval to the Ministry of Water Resources, Works and Housing to implement the project.
The project involved the construction of 5,000 housing units for sale to public members through mortgages provided by Ghana Home Loans.
The project was implemented by Constrastora OAS Ghana Limited through a buyer’s credit of up to $200 million.
Charges levelled against the five include intentionally misapplying Public property.
Latest Stories
-
GIPS hails new value for money legislation, urges swift passage of Procurement Practicing Bill
33 seconds -
ASAC 2026: The finish line through the lens
3 minutes -
Agenda 111 should not be abandoned because of change in government – Dr Nsiah-Asare
3 minutes -
Sports Minister Kofi Adams challenges Queiroz to get best out of Black Stars
4 minutes -
Ghana must tread cautiously on the Gold Fields Tarkwa Lease debate
6 minutes -
Agenda 111 was properly funded and designed to address healthcare gaps — Dr Nsiah-Asare insists
24 minutes -
Supreme Court admits 14 CSOs in OSP’s constitutionality case
28 minutes -
Nhyira FM’s Ohemaa Benewaa marks ‘The Threshold’ birthday with outreach, launches Women’s Wave Empowerment
32 minutes -
On announces NIL partnership with University of Louisville track standout Elsingi Kipruto
34 minutes -
Judiciary Committee pledges support for courts and legal education in Upper West Region
37 minutes -
Hopeson Adorye calls for one-year ban on small-scale mining to combat galamsey
51 minutes -
Photos: Interior Minister presents new vehicles to Ghana National Fire Service
1 hour -
GOC commits $100k to OlympAfrica project, set to begin in June
1 hour -
“Asiedu Nketia could rise even higher” — Bole Palace remarks reignite succession speculation
1 hour -
GNFS contains fire outbreak at Coral Paint head office in Adabraka
1 hour