Audio By Carbonatix
Minority Leader Haruna Iddrisu has chastised President Akufo-Addo over his comments on the Russian mercenary group Wagner in Washington.
According to him, President Akufo-Addo did not exercise good judgment in his comments.
Mr Iddrisu said the President who had previously served as a Foreign Affairs and Attorney General ought not to be making such “irresponsible and unprofessional” comments.
The Tamale South lawmaker said the comments could have dire repercussions on the country should Russia decide to take an action against it.
Speaking at the NDC Congress on Saturday, Mr Iddrisu disclosed that the Minority will demand a detailed briefing on his comments.
“As we address this Congress, President Akufo-Addo has not only failed by creating an economic mess, he has also gone ahead to create what you call a foreign policy crisis.
"For those who listened to him, a former Foreign Affairs Minister, former Attorney General he simply failed to momentarily have impulse control and to ensure a balance between foreign policy and security the security of our state as he openly condemned Burkina Faso and mentioned the Wagner group of Russia.
“I have information that our Ranking Member of the Foreign Affairs Committee and members will ask for a detailed briefing to Parliament on this reckless, irresponsible and unprofessional statement by the President of our Republic, he cannot provide us with food, he should not let them bring guns on us as a country,” he chastised.
The President speaking to reporters alongside U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Wednesday, December 14, alleged that Burkina Faso had hired the mercenaries.
“Today, Russian mercenaries are on our northern border. Burkina Faso has now entered into an arrangement to go along with Mali in employing the Wagner forces there,” Akufo-Addo said, adding that it was a distressing development for Ghana.
Mr Akufo-Addo also alleged that Burkina Faso had offered Wagner a mine as payment.
After the comments, Burkina Faso summoned the Ghanaian ambassador on Friday morning for “explanations.”
In a statement issued after the meeting with the ambassador, Burkina Faso’s foreign ministry said it had “expressed disapproval” about the statements made by the Ghanaian president.
“Ghana could have undertaken exchanges with the Burkinabe authorities on the security issue in order to have the right information,” it said.
Latest Stories
-
OMCs commence fuel price reviews; Star Oil sells petrol at GH¢14.97, diesel kept at GH¢16.97
24 minutes -
Residents of Brekusu-Kwabenya-Kitase protest over deplorable roads
32 minutes -
Genser Energy secures 456m euros to accelerate next phase of growth across West Africa
37 minutes -
COKA visits Kokofu after Ashanti NPP win, calls for unity ahead of 2028
41 minutes -
Bono East crowns Kintampo SHS, Gyarko Community Day SHS for national public speaking finals
60 minutes -
GRIDCo completes initial repair works on Ashaiman transmission line
1 hour -
Egyapa Mercer donates hairdryers to graduating hairdressers in Sekondi
1 hour -
Health Ministry hands over 30 ambulances to National Security for refurbishment
1 hour -
Republic Bank deepens commitment to homeownership with nationwide JoyNews Habitat Fair partnership
1 hour -
Archbishop Duncan-Williams links galamsey to Ghana’s wider culture of indiscipline
1 hour -
India’s clean energy leadership in green hydrogen
2 hours -
Ghana’s Road Safety Crisis: We must move from reaction to prevention
2 hours -
Duncan-Williams urges Church to educate Ghanaians on dangers of galamsey and gold smuggling
2 hours -
New Defence Minister pledges technology-led defence posture
2 hours -
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
2 hours