Audio By Carbonatix
Elon Musk has broken the world record for the largest loss of personal fortune in history.
From November 2021 to December 2022 he lost around $165bn, Guinness World Records said in a blog on its website.
The figures are based on data from publisher Forbes, but Guinness said other sources suggested Mr Musk's losses could have been higher.
It follows a fall in value of shares in Mr Musk's electric car firm Tesla after he bought Twitter last year.
His $44bn (ÂŁ36bn) takeover of the social media company has sparked concerns among investors that Mr Musk is no longer giving Tesla enough attention.
Mr Musk's losses since November 2021 surpass the previous record of $58.6bn (ÂŁ47bn), suffered by Japanese tech investor Masayoshi Son in 2000.
The estimated loss is based on the value of his shares, which could regain their value, meaning Mr Musk's wealth would increase again.
In December, the Tesla boss lost his position as richest person in the world to Bernard Arnault, the chief executive of French luxury goods company LVMH, which owns fashion label Louis Vuitton.
The value of Tesla shares dropped around 65% in 2022, in part because of Tesla's performance. The firm delivered just 1.3 million vehicles during the year, falling short of Wall Street expectations.
However, Mr Musk's takeover of Twitter - where he has sparked controversy by firing large numbers of staff and changing content moderation policies - is behind most of the share slump.
Many Tesla investors believe he should be focusing on the electric vehicle company as it faces falling demand amid recession fears, rising competition and Covid-linked production challenges.
"Long-term fundamentals [at Tesla] are extremely strong. Short-term market madness is unpredictable," Mr Musk tweeted after the stock markets closed for the year in December 2022.
Mr Musk is now worth about $178bn (ÂŁ152bn), according to Forbes, while Bernard Arnault has an estimated value of $188bn (ÂŁ155bn).
Latest Stories
-
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, August 20, 2026
3 minutes -
GIPA, GUTA outline roadmap to protect informal retail space for Ghanaians
18 minutes -
GIPA invites investors to maiden ‘Invest Ghana Summit’
24 minutes -
The Algorithmic Gavel: Analysing automated customs valuation, ICUMS and the rule of law in international trade
1 hour -
GRIDCo identifies Akosombo–Volta line fault as cause of widespread power outage
1 hour -
Dodowa-Afienya-Dawhenya road project to be completed by December – Contractor
2 hours -
Galamsey fight must go beyond empty slogans; it requires conscious effort – Methodist Church
2 hours -
GoldBod, BoG should share cost of domestic gold programme – Dr Sarkodie
2 hours -
DGPP losses could leave taxpayers to recapitalise BoG – Prof Bokpin
2 hours -
GAUA suspends strike ahead of August 25 meeting with Fair Wages
2 hours -
Big Push road projects targeted for completion by end of 2027 – Suhuyini
3 hours -
Early morning blackout disrupts power supply across several regions
3 hours -
Youth Ministry to publish programme data online to boost transparency
3 hours -
Oti NPP Communication Director speaks out against NDC administration
3 hours -
Be vigilant and report suspicious characters to security agencies – Peace Council
3 hours