Audio By Carbonatix
Two US Navy sailors in California have been arrested on charges of providing sensitive military information to China.
Jinchao Wei, 22, a naturalised US citizen, is accused of conspiring to send national defence information to a Chinese agent.
Petty Officer Wenheng Zhao, 26, was arrested on charges of accepting money for sensitive photos and videos.
It is unclear if the same Chinese agent is alleged to have contacted the pair.
Both men were arrested on Wednesday in California, Mr Wei while on his way to work at Naval Base San Diego.
Prosecutors announced the charges during a news conference in San Diego on Thursday.
They said Mr Wei, who served as a machinist's mate on the amphibious assault ship USS Essex, held a security clearance and had access to sensitive information about the ship.
He was allegedly approached by a Chinese agent in February 2022 while he was going through the process of becoming a US citizen.
The agent paid Mr Wei, who also goes by the name Patrick Wei, thousands of dollars for photographs, videos, technical manuals and blueprints of the ship, the indictment said.
Justice department officials said Mr Wei also gave the agent details of US Marines who were on a maritime training exercise.
"When a soldier or sailor chooses cash over country and hands over national defence information in an ultimate act of betrayal, we have to be ready to act," said US Attorney Randy Grossman.
China, so far, has denied any knowledge of the alleged activity.
Liu Pengyu, a spokesman for China's embassy in Washington, was quoted by the Wall Street Journal as saying: "The US government and media have frequently hyped up cases of 'espionage' related to China.
"China firmly opposes the US side's groundless slander and smear of China," he added.
Mr Zhao, who also goes by the name Thomas Zhao, worked at Naval Base Ventura County near Los Angeles. In 2021 he was allegedly approached by a Chinese agent who posed as a researcher seeking information for investment decisions.
The agent paid Mr Zhao nearly $15,000 (£11,800) for photos and videos along with diagrams and blueprints for a radar system stationed on a US military base in Okinawa, Japan, authorities said.
If convicted, Mr Wei faces 20 years to life in prison, while the charges against Mr Zhao carry a maximum sentence of 20 years.
The two men were charged in separate cases.
Authorities characterised the alleged espionage as part of a concerted effort by China to obtain US military secrets.
A Chinese spy balloon that floated over the United States earlier this year strained relations between the two countries, although American authorities later said it did not collect any sensitive information.
"The Department of Justice will continue to use every tool in our arsenal to counter threats from China and to deter those who aid them in breaking our laws and threatening our national security," said Assistant Attorney General Matthew Olsen.
It was not clear if either Mr Wei or Mr Zhao had hired lawyers who could comment on their behalf.
Latest Stories
-
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
8 minutes -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
42 minutes -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
46 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
53 minutes -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
2 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
2 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
3 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
3 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
3 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
3 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
3 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
3 hours