Audio By Carbonatix
A Former Deputy Minister of Finance has withdrawn an application for recusal against Justice Afia Serwah Asare-Botwe, a Justice of the Court of Appeal sitting with additional responsibility as a High Court judge.
Dr. Cassiel Ato Forson, through his Lawyer Dr Abdul Aziz Bamba, filed the application on June 29, 2023, asking the trial judge to recuse herself on the grounds of bias against the accused person.
Dr Bamba said the application had been brought to the Court under the inherent jurisdiction and that the trial judge was not competent to continue to hear the matter.
The Counsel said the application had to do with certain pre-juridical comments and utterances made by the judge during the process of the trial.
However, Justice Asare-Botwe, struck out the application as withdrawn.
Mr Godwin Edudzi Tameklo, who held brief for Dr. Bamba, subsequently prayed for the Court to release the passport of Dr. Forson to enable him to keep it till October 1, 2023.
Justice Asare-Botwe granted the request and ordered the accused to return the passport to the Court’s Registrar by 12 noon of October 2, 2023.
Dr Forson and two others; Dr Sylvester Anemana, a Former Chief Director of the Ministry of Health and Mr Richard Dzakpa, a Businessman, are being prosecuted over the purchase of some ambulances.
Dr Forson was granted a self-recognisance bail of GH¢3 million for allegedly willfully causing financial loss of 2,370,000 euros to the State.
He is also facing an additional charge of “intentionally misapplying public property contrary to section 1 (2) of the Public Property Protection Act, 1977 (SMCD 140)”.
Dr Anemana was also granted a bail of one million Ghana Cedis with three sureties one of whom shall be a public servant not below the rank of a director.
While Mr Dzakpa was granted bail of five million Ghana cedis with three sureties one of whom must be justified with documents of landed property.
Earlier, the Chief Justice, Gertrude Araba Sackey Torkornoo, dismissed a petition asking her to transfer the case to a different judge.
Mr Dzakpa petitioned the Chief Justice to remove the trial judge, alleging bias against him because of an incident which occurred during one of the court’s sittings.
The case has been adjourned to October 2, 2023, in the new legal year.
Latest Stories
-
Armwrestling – Prisons Boss Baffoe-Bonnie hosts officers to a luncheon
5 minutes -
GH¢10bn still unpaid as Mahama misses promise to locked-up fund victims
13 minutes -
Socrate Safo Speaks: When Battles come in Winter, a lesson from Prophet Badu Kobi’s predicament
19 minutes -
Samuel Jinapor raises concerns over Abronye DC’s continued detention, warns against ‘culture of silence’
38 minutes -
GFA, Metro Mass Transit seal partnership to transform football transport and fan experience
51 minutes -
Tension mounts in Asante Mampong NPP over alleged voters register irregularities
51 minutes -
Economic activity strengthens in quarter one 2026, but business, consumer sentiments soften – BoG
52 minutes -
Health Ministry congratulates Mintah Akandoh on election as WHO Committee B Chairman
53 minutes -
Licensed mining firm cries foul over illegal occupation of concession at Wasa Dadieso
57 minutes -
Selective Outrage and the Struggle for Principle in Ghana’s Democracy
1 hour -
Wa West records 37.9% reduction in poverty through interventions by MP Peter Toobu
1 hour -
Ghana’s tax architecture more data and enforcement driven than any point in modern history – Tax report
1 hour -
GCB Bank backs Timeline & Innovations LTD with heavy-duty fleet to boost Ghana’s “Big Push” agenda
1 hour -
Photos: Tunisian Minister of Youth and Sports meets Rugby Africa President Herbert Mensah
1 hour -
“We’ll charge security officers for murder if anything happens to Abronye DC” – Haruna Mohammed
1 hour