Audio By Carbonatix
Ukraine's Defence Minister Oleksii Reznikov has been dismissed from his post, the country's leader Volodymyr Zelensky has announced.
Mr Reznikov had led the ministry since before the start of Russia's full-scale invasion in February 2022.
In his nightly address, President Zelensky said it was time for "new approaches" in the defence ministry.
Rustem Umerov, who runs Ukraine's State Property Fund, has been nominated by Mr Zelensky as Mr Reznikov's successor.
"I believe that the ministry needs new approaches and other formats of interaction with both the military and society as a whole," the Ukrainian president said in his address from the capital Kyiv.
Ukrainian media has speculated that Mr Reznikov will become Kyiv's new ambassador in London, where he has developed good relations with senior politicians.
Mr Reznikov, 57, has become a well-known figure since the beginning of the war in Ukraine. Internationally recognised, he has regularly attended meetings with Ukraine's western allies and played a key role in lobbying for additional military equipment.
But his dismissal has been anticipated for some time. Last week, Mr Reznikov told reporters he was exploring other positions with the Ukrainian president.
According to Ukrainian media, the former defence minister said that if Mr Zelensky offered the opportunity for him to work on another project he would probably agree.
His dismissal comes amid a wider anti-corruption drive in Mr Zelensky's administration, with weeding out graft in the state seen as essential to Ukraine's desire to join Western institutions like the EU.
According to Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index, Ukraine ranks 116th out of 180, but efforts in recent years have seen its position improve significantly.
While Mr Reznikov is not personally accused of corruption, there have been a number of scandals involving procurement at the Ministry of Defence over goods and equipment for the army.
Earlier this year Mr Reznikov's deputy, Vyacheslav Shapovalov, resigned in the wake of the scandal. It was widely reported at the time that Mr Reznikov barely held on to his own post.
At the time, Mr Reznikov said the stress he had endured this year "is hard to measure precisely", adding that his "conscience is absolutely clear".
He will be replaced by Mr Umerov, who represented Ukraine in peace talks at the beginning of Russia's full-scale invasion.
The Ukrainian MP allegedly suffered symptoms of suspected poisoning during peace negotiations in March 2022 alongside Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich - who was also part of the negotiating party. In a statement posted to Facebook he later denied the reports, urging people not to trust "unverified information".
Speaking to the BBC at the time, he said it took courage to find solutions but he was determined "to find [a] political and diplomatic resolution to this brutal invasion".
Mr Reznikov's dismissal comes as Ukraine wages a slow and bloody counter-offensive after securing more advanced weapons from Western allies.
Progress on the frontline has been slow but top Ukrainian generals said on Sunday that their forces have broken through a key line of Russian defences in the south of the country.
Meanwhile, Russia reported several attempted drone attacks on its territory overnight.
The defence ministry said it shot down two drones over the Kursk region, which borders Ukraine, early on Monday.
The region's governor Roman Stravoit also reported on Sunday that debris from a destroyed drone had caused a fire at a non-residential building in the city of Kurchatov.
Elsewhere, Russia launched its own overnight attack on Izmail port - one of Ukraine's two major grain-exporting ports on the Danube River in the Odesa region.
The Danube ports have become Ukraine's major exporting route since the collapse of the Black Sea grain deal in July.
Moscow has launched frequent attacks on the Danube since withdrawing from the deal in July.
Latest Stories
-
The source of cedi appreciation matters more than the appreciation itself
4 minutes -
Ashanti cocoa farmers welcome new COCOBOD Bill, back key reforms
7 minutes -
‘GoldBod is a very big scandal awaiting us’ – Afenyo-Markin
8 minutes -
‘GoldBod is failing’ – Afenyo-Markin cites IMF report on $1.7bn losses
9 minutes -
Fire destroys ICT lab at Gushegu Midwifery Training School, threatens licensure exams
11 minutes -
Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
11 minutes -
Bawumia charges NPP executives to rebuild party for 2028 victory
14 minutes -
Unite the region and deliver victory in 2028 – Dr. Bawumia to new Greater Accra NPP executives
14 minutes -
Ukrainian strikes kill six in Russia, acting governor says
14 minutes -
The goal is to win 2028 polls – Bawumia
15 minutes -
GoldBod secures 30% of large-scale gold output for Ghana’s strategic reserves
15 minutes -
FDA warns against unauthorised chemicals for ripening plantain
16 minutes -
‘If you sell gold at a loss, you’re not a good trader’ – Afenyo-Markin jabs Sammy Gyamfi
19 minutes -
Dr. Bawumia meets new Greater Accra NPP executives; charges them to bring all talents on board
23 minutes -
Before the Next Jason: When seniority becomes a weapon against young academics
36 minutes