Audio By Carbonatix
The Electoral Commission (EC) Returning Officer for the Ablekuma North constituency, Vincent Obeng, has announced his decision to step down from the ongoing collation of parliamentary results, citing frustrations encountered during the process.
Speaking to the media on Wednesday, January 8, Mr Obeng disclosed that out of seven polling stations, results from four had been successfully collated, leaving three outstanding.
He explained that difficulties arose due to the inability of presiding officers to authenticate the statement of the poll and the declaration forms.
“I hope you have all seen what is going on. Yesterday January 7, we were left with 7 polling stations to go. We came today, and we have been able to do [collate] four out of the seven.
"So, we’re left with three more. We brought our presiding officers here—two came, but they couldn’t authenticate the statement of poll and declaration form. One said she can't come. So that's the three now," he said.
Expressing frustration, Mr Obeng added, “It’s so unfortunate for me to make this statement, but I’m done with Ablekuma North. They [EC] should find a new returning officer to continue their work.”
In response, the EC’s Director of Training, Dr Serebour Quaicoe, expressed regret over Mr. Obeng’s remarks, attributing them to frustration.
He reassured the public that the Commission would address the issue and make efforts to bring Mr. Obeng back to complete the process.
The collation process for Ablekuma North has been fraught with tension. Earlier, a scuffle erupted over the inclusion of a disputed pink sheet, further delaying proceedings.
A Presiding Officer, Nathaniel Klimsman Avumeh, denied authenticating figures from his polling station, complicating the collation.
Tensions escalated when a party official slammed the table of EC officials, triggering chaos among opposing party members.
The situation briefly devolved into physical altercations before police officers intervened to restore order.
Latest Stories
-
Bodo/Glimt stun Inter Milan to continue fairytale
4 minutes -
Ga Mantse stable after early morning accident
6 minutes -
Pressure mounts as Arsenal blow 2-goal lead to draw at Wolves
15 minutes -
Club Brugge fight back to leave Atletico tie delicately poised
25 minutes -
Benfica claim ‘defamation campaign’ against Prestianni
34 minutes -
Sinner and Alcaraz reach Qatar quarter-finals
42 minutes -
Kenpong Travel and Tours to launch 2026 World Cup travel package on Friday
48 minutes -
‘It hurts a lot’ – Coutinho announces Vasco exit
50 minutes -
Provider – A new gospel anthem of faith, hope, and divine supply
58 minutes -
MOBA heads to Accra Ridge for 11th National Conference on Feb 21
1 hour -
Ghana’s Doris Quainoo clocks new PB 8.23s to claim second place at Jarvis City Invite
1 hour -
Spain luxury hotel scammer booked rooms for one cent, police say
1 hour -
Zuckerberg defends Meta in landmark social media addiction trial
2 hours -
Suspected carbon-monoxide leak kills at least 30 miners in Nigeria, witnesses say
2 hours -
First Lady hails police as stolen Mamprobi baby is found and reunited with family
2 hours
