Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament (MP) for Suame, John Darko says the Minority will not participate in the ad-hoc committee set up by the Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, to investigate last week's chaos during the sitting of the Appointments Committee.
He argued that the move by the Speaker is illegal, and as such, New Patriotic Party (NPP) MPs will not engage with it.
"I believe our members will not join; our members are not going to be part of this illegality," he said on Joy FM's Top Story on Monday.
Mr Darko added, "When you speak to the NDC members, ask them: what authority does the Speaker have to set up a committee? Apart from Order 362, there is no provision that gives the Speaker the authority to set up a committee."
According to him, the standing orders of Parliament do not permit the Speaker, as an individual, to establish such committees.
He explained that the standing orders only allow for a committee to be set up through a motion raised by the leaders of either side, which must then be seconded by the House. At that point, the Speaker would play a role in approving the establishment of the committee.
However, Mr Darko pointed out that these procedures were not followed. "The Speaker is not the House, and there hasn’t been any motion. https://brixtonwintercarnival.com/media/ A Speaker on his own cannot set up a committee," he said.
Background
Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, has set up an ad-hoc committee to investigate the chaos that occurred during the Appointments Committee's sitting on Thursday, 30th January.
The disruption arose from a disagreement between the minority and majority over the further vetting of ministerial nominees, which escalated into a physical altercation, damaging tables and microphones.
The Speaker has since suspended four MPs believed to have incited the disturbances: three from the minority and one from the majority.
Mr Bagbin's decision has faced criticism from legal experts and, in particular, members of the opposition party.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t targets petroleum upstream recovery after five years of consecutive decline
4 minutes -
TUC welcomes ICJ ruling affirming workers’ right to strike
32 minutes -
NDC teachers launch grassroots political drive in Western North
54 minutes -
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
1 hour -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
2 hours -
Usyk keeps titles with controversial Verhoeven stoppage
2 hours -
Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House
2 hours -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
3 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
3 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
4 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
4 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
5 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
5 hours -
Eastern Regional Minister halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
5 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
6 hours