Audio By Carbonatix
US and Chinese officials will hold a second day of trade talks in Spain on Monday as the deadline for the Chinese owner of TikTok to find a buyer or face a ban in America looms.
The negotiations, led by US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and Chinese Vice Premier He Lifeng, are the latest attempt to end a trade war between the world's two biggest economies.
Top level trade delegations from Beijing and Washington last met in Sweden in July, where they extended their tariffs truce by another 90 days.
After initially calling for TikTok to be banned during his first term, Trump has reversed his stance on the popular video-sharing app and delayed the ban three times so far.
Speaking to reporters on Sunday, Trump said, "We may let [TikTok] die. Or we may… I don't know. It depends. Up to China, it doesn't matter too much."
It came as expectations grow that the deadline, which is due to expire on Wednesday, will be extended for a fourth time.
Last month, Trump suggested that he would keep extending the deadline until a buyer for TikTok could be found and called national security and privacy concerns related to the app and its Chinese parent company ByteDance "highly overrated".
The BBC has contacted the White House and TikTok for comment.
The app is one of the world's most widely-used social media platforms, with around 170 million users in the US.
During this week's talks, officials are also expected to lay the groundwork for a potential meeting between Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping as soon as October, when they are scheduled to attend a summit in South Korea.
China and the US extended a tariff truce until November, reducing threatened levies that exceeded 100% on each other's goods.
The extension gives more time for negotiations about "unfair trade practices" and to address national security issues, the White House said.
Latest Stories
-
Hindsight: Garbage in, garbage out
21 minutes -
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
38 minutes -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
48 minutes -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
51 minutes -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
57 minutes -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
1 hour -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
1 hour -
Ghana’s economy still vulnerable to commodity swings and global tightening – PwC warns
1 hour -
GCAA asked to prioritise airspace safety
1 hour -
CPC welcomes 50% local cocoa processing directive
1 hour -
AU Summit: Mahama, UN Chief discuss African security
1 hour -
DOPASS students eat in an open shed
1 hour -
NPA raises price floor for Feb. 16 window; petrol up to GH¢10.24, diesel pegged at GH¢11.34
1 hour -
Police foil massive narcotics smuggling, reject GH¢80k bribe, seven arrested
1 hour -
Work to resume on UHAS multi-purpose laboratory complex – Volta Regional Minister
2 hours
