Audio By Carbonatix
Former Member of Parliament for Sekondi and former Minister for Tourism, Arts and Culture, Andrew Egyapa Mercer, has accused the National Democratic Congress (NDC) of misleading Ghanaian youth with promises of increased job opportunities, particularly in the security services.
Speaking on JoyNews’ Newsfile programme on Saturday, March 14, Mr Mercer said the government’s decision to expand the age eligibility for recruitment from 25 to 35 years significantly contributed to the surge in applicants, despite the limited number of available positions.
“I am not surprised people are calling this a Ponzi scheme because all this is self-induced,” he said. “Previously, the eligibility bracket was 18 to 25 — a seven-year bracket. Then you increased it by ten years, moving the age limit from 25 to 35. What did you expect would happen? The numbers would increase by that decision alone, when IMF conditions limit your recruitment space to 5,000.”
His remarks follow the announcement by the Interior Minister, Mubarak Mohammed-Muntaka, that only 5,000 applicants will be recruited into the various security services in the first phase of the ongoing nationwide exercise.
Addressing a press conference in Parliament, the minister explained that although hundreds of thousands of candidates had progressed through the selection stages, the government could only absorb a limited number due to fiscal constraints.
He added that the government remains committed to creating employment opportunities for young people across other sectors of the economy.
Latest Stories
-
Bono East crowns Kintampo SHS, Gyarko Community Day SHS for national public speaking finals
5 minutes -
GRIDCo completes initial repair works on Ashaiman transmission line
15 minutes -
Egyapa Mercer donates hairdryers to graduating hairdressers in Sekondi
21 minutes -
Health Ministry hands 30 ambulances to National Security for refurbishment
25 minutes -
Republic Bank deepens commitment to homeownership with nationwide JoyNews Habitat Fair partnership
30 minutes -
Archbishop Duncan-Williams links galamsey to Ghana’s wider culture of indiscipline
33 minutes -
India’s clean energy leadership in green hydrogen
42 minutes -
Ghana’s Road Safety Crisis: We must move from reaction to prevention
44 minutes -
Duncan-Williams urges Church to educate Ghanaians on dangers of galamsey and gold smuggling
55 minutes -
New Defence Minister pledges technology-led defence posture
60 minutes -
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
1 hour -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
1 hour -
‘I’m not against enforcing the law’ – Archbishop Duncan-Williams defends call for prayer against galamsey, gold smuggling
1 hour -
Tantalus or Triumph? Ghana and the Harvest of Economic Recovery
1 hour -
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
2 hours