Audio By Carbonatix
The Public Relations Officer of the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources, Paa Kwesi Schandorf, says the continued stay in office of the Amansie Central District Chief Executive (DCE), Emmanuel Agyemang, does not compromise the ongoing investigations into allegations of illegal mining taxation.
Speaking on Joy FM’s Midday News on Monday, March 16, Mr Schandorf said the investigative process has safeguards that prevent any interference, even if the person under investigation remains in their position.
He explained that the DCE’s presence in office does not weaken the probe in any way.
“I have had to indicate earlier that his presence in office does not in any way compromise or dilute the quality of the ongoing probe and inquiry,” he said.
According to him, the investigative framework in place ensures that the work of the investigators remains independent and protected from interference.
“If you look at the mechanisms and the protocols for the ongoing investigations, his presence in office does not in any way affect it,” he added.
The issue has generated public debate after a JoyNews documentary alleged that the office of the Amansie Central DCE was involved in collecting levies from illegal mining operators in the district.
Read also: A Tax For Galamsey: JoyNews exposé links DCE to GH₵6,000 ‘galamsey fees’
The investigation reportedly showed that miners were charged various fees, including GH¢3,000 per changfang machine, and were issued receipts for the payments.
The revelations sparked public outrage, with some members of the public calling for the immediate suspension or arrest of the DCE while investigations continue.
Responding to concerns about why Mr Agyemang remains at post, Mr Schandorf acknowledged that some people believe removing him from office could have signalled a stronger commitment to the probe.
“Yes, optically we can all agree under the circumstances that if he were out of office, perhaps that may have communicated a certain level of seriousness. There is that school of thought,” he said.
However, he said that the nature of the investigative process allows authorities to detect and prevent any interference.
“It is also true that the nature of the mechanisms that you deploy in an investigative process can actually spot any injurious interferences, provided the person being investigated is still in office,” he explained.
He therefore maintained that the concerns raised by the public are understandable but do not undermine the integrity of the investigation.
“So the fact that he is there, as much as it is a concern and a legitimate one that we welcome, does not in any way injure the process that is currently ongoing,” he said.
Mr Schandorf also indicated that the investigation is nearing completion and a final decision is expected soon.
“Well, as of now, plans are far advanced. The entire process has actually travelled a very long haul and in the not-too-distant future, hopefully by the end of the first quarter of this year, the outcome should be finalised,” he said.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana to bid farewell to Aps Kwadwo Safo as funeral rites set for July 30
37 minutes -
Video: Moment Arsenal squad found out they were Premier League 2025/26 champions
41 minutes -
GSA shuts down 5A Homes for allegedly producing substandard mattresses
1 hour -
Heads of SHSs cite Buffer Stock Company over missing cost details of food supplies
1 hour -
Gov’t breached oil fund law for 5 years, kept $100m cap instead of $584m – PIAC report
1 hour -
Buffer Stock Company says SHS food prices are agreed by stakeholders, denies lack of transparency
1 hour -
Future Athletics stars ready to shine at UG Invitational meet
1 hour -
Asantewaa Empowerment Initiative launches campaign against drug abuse and teenage pregnancy in Juaben
1 hour -
PAC orders Anlo-Afiadanyigba SHS to pay GH₵10k arrears to casual workers
2 hours -
Rockefeller Foundation awards over US$350m, reaching 731 million people amid global aid decline
2 hours -
Women bear the heaviest burden after climate disasters – GreenFaith Africa
2 hours -
APN calls for urgent mobile money interoperability across Africa
2 hours -
Portugal’s Ronaldo set for record sixth World Cup
2 hours -
Cedi depreciates by 8.4% against dollar in interbank market
2 hours -
Arsenal are 2025/26 EPL champions after Man City draw at Bournemouth
2 hours