Audio By Carbonatix
A Nigerian Christian group on Monday disputed an assertion by the army that it had rescued 31 people who were abducted by armed men in northern Kaduna state, saying that the victims remained in captivity.
The Nigerian Army said on Sunday that troops had freed the civilians after gunmen stormed a church in Ariko village in Kaduna's Kachia district, while five people were found dead at the scene.
Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) chairman for the northern region, Reverend John Joseph Hayab, denied any rescue had taken place.
"Yes, the military is doing its best to get them back home, but it is not fair for the military to claim that the victims have been rescued," Hayab told Reuters by phone.
"Now we have misinformation. When we are busy denying, we are just giving the bandits the opportunity to strike and go freely," he added.
The Kurtumi Unity Development Association, a local resident group in Ariko, also dismissed the army's assertion, saying it was "entirely false, misleading and does not reflect the current situation".
Local resident and former Ariko village head Iliya Audu put the final death toll at seven, not five, and said the burials had been held on Monday.
"We are just returning from the burial of those killed. No single soul was rescued," said Audu.
The Nigerian Army and Defence Headquarters did not respond to repeated requests for comment on Monday.
CAN has previously challenged official accounts of kidnappings, including last November when it disputed security forces' figures following the abduction of students from a Catholic school in Niger state.
Nigeria is under scrutiny from U.S. President Donald Trump who says that Christians are being persecuted, which the government denies.
Latest Stories
-
Ebola outbreak poses massive challenges, warns nurse
6 minutes -
Bolivian minister’s convoy ambushed while overseeing roadblock clearance
46 minutes -
One killed and many feared trapped under collapsed building in Philippines
49 minutes -
Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran
57 minutes -
Conte to leave Napoli a year after winning Serie A
1 hour -
Iraola signs off after writing new Bournemouth chapter
1 hour -
Fifi Folson marks 20 years on air with Thanksgiving Service, launches teen gospel initiative
1 hour -
The moment that broke Guardiola on day a decade of glory ended
1 hour -
Raducanu beaten in French Open first round
2 hours -
Sabalenka cuts media short as French Open players protest
2 hours -
Ghana’s Jada Yankey clocks new personal best at AP Race London International
2 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Berekum Chelsea end season on high with win over Bechem
3 hours -
Alleged shooting of chief’s brother by galamseyers triggers tension at Gwira Ampansie
3 hours -
Livestream: The Probe examines New Decentralisation Policy
3 hours -
Enterprise Insurance pays over GH¢280m in claims in 2025
3 hours