Audio By Carbonatix
A senior Fifa official has said he was "disappointed" by the number of World Cup tickets sold to fans in African countries.
Jerome Valcke said only 40,000 tickets have been sold in countries in the continent outside of South Africa.
The football body has faced criticism for not making tickets accessible to Africans, as most tickets were being sold via the internet.
It is the first time the World Cup is being held on African soil.
'Priced out'
Mr Valcke - who has previously billed the event as a "real African World Cup" - said that African sales were "poor" and that Fifa would have to re-think its strategy towards Brazil, hosts of the 2014 Cup.
"It's really not a lot of tickets when you think that we have so many African countries playing in the World Cup," he said at a press event in South Africa.
"The system that we put in place was not perfect for South Africa and for Africa".
He said that there were also difficulties in air travel from one African country to South Africa.
South African Tourism Minister Martinus van Schalkwyk said on Tuesday that the figures were 76% less than those forecasted for the event.
He said that only 11,300 people in Africa made ticket purchases, out of a total of 230,000 foreign fans.
In March, Mr Valcke denied that Africans were being priced out of tournaments.
While tickets in South Africa were offered at a lower price, fans in other African countries had to pay the standard amount - with the cheapest costing $80 (£54).
Critics also said that many Africans would face difficulties accessing the internet, or might not have a credit card to make purchases online.
Over 2.5 million tickets have been sold out of 3 million available for the World Cup, which begins in three weeks.
More than a million have been bought by South Africans.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Mahama to present historic resolution on slave trade to UN in March
23 minutes -
Tanker blast: NRSA presses for safety reforms
29 minutes -
Ghana, Lebanon deepen security cooperation after high-level talks in Accra
29 minutes -
Mahama gov’t has made no real impact after one year in office – Afenyo-Markin
31 minutes -
National Apprenticeship Programme targets 2,000 youth in Ashanti Region
32 minutes -
I will hold government accountable without obstructing Parliament – Afenyo-Markin
36 minutes -
Kennedy Agyapong gave me $5m without any agreement – Afenyo-Markin
43 minutes -
Bawumia’s post-primary unity drive commendable – Afenyo-Markin
50 minutes -
Mahama rallies his fellow world leaders to support Accra Reset
56 minutes -
Take integrity, discipline as guiding principles – Chief Justice to law students
57 minutes -
GACL calls for domestic, intra-regional flight growth
1 hour -
24-Hour Economy is more of a campaign slogan than policy – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
Extremists in NDC not helping Mahama build lasting legacy – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
Morocco residents begin returning to northwest as flood waters recede
1 hour -
Court awards GH¢200k for broken marriage promise
1 hour
