Audio By Carbonatix
Sulley Muntari could return to a lead role for Ghana in Saturday’s World Cup second round game against the United States days after being threatened with being sent home after an altercation with his coach.
Milovan Rajevac said the skillful but tempestuous midfielder, a recent Champions League winner with Inter Milan, was being considered for a possible starting role in the match at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium.
“He’s performed well in training and I will see overnight whether he will start from the beginning,” said Ghana’s coach at a pre-match news conference in Rustenburg on Friday.
Muntari was officially reprimanded five days ago following an outburst after the game against Australia in Rustenburg on June 19 where he was only used as a substitute.
Rajevac sought to have him expelled from the squad but relented after an apology and pleas from other players.
Muntari has had several run-ins with Ghanaian soccer authorities over the last nine months. He was left out of the African Nations Cup squad earlier this year after refusing to play in a warm-up friendly in November.
But a change in demeanour has seen Muntari now back in favour. He was also brought on as a substitute against Germany on Wednesday when Ghana lost 1-0 at Soccer City but still qualified for the knockout phase.
The 25-year-old, who already has 54 caps for Ghana, was expected to take a lead role in their World Cup campaign after an injury to Michael Essien but was left out of the team for Ghana’s opening match of the tournament.
Muntari was suspended at the 2006 World Cup for the final group match against the Americans, which Ghana won 2-1 also to go through to the second round.
Rajevac on Friday confirmed key defender Isaac Vorsah remained sidelined through injury but the two other centre backs, Jonathan Mensah and captain John Mensah, had recovered from knocks and would compete against the Americans.
Rajevac expects a taxing physical challenge from the United States, who increased the tempo of their play in the latter stage of each of the games they have played.
“Their opponents haven’t known how to deal with them,” he added.
Source: Ghanasoccernet.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Agri-Impact Group Founder Daniel Acquaye appointed Chairman of CSIR–Crops Research Institute board
32 minutes -
Gold Fields Ghana gifts Mehuntem Community with 40,000-litre water system
39 minutes -
King Charles’ brother, Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office as King says ‘law must take its course’
42 minutes -
CDD calls for independent anti-corruption commission in the one-year review of Mahama administration
47 minutes -
Ecobank rewards over 4,000 customers in ‘5-Star Enjoyment’ Promo grand finale in Kumasi
55 minutes -
Police arrest alleged drug kingpin in Bono Region narcotics operation
1 hour -
CDD flags bail and pre-trial detention controversies in assessment of Mahama’s one-year administration
1 hour -
Drivers’ union tours Kinbu-Tudu Street; commends Accra Mayor for traffic relief efforts
1 hour -
CDD flags violence, governance gaps and legal loopholes in assessment of one-year of Mahama administration
2 hours -
CDD warns of ‘backdoor’ criminal libel; slow pace on key accountability reforms
2 hours -
The Myth of Benevolence: Deconstructing the benefits of colonialism in Ghana
2 hours -
NAM 1 tells court BoG guided Menzgold operations
2 hours -
CDD raises red flag over GH₵20,000 gift threshold in ministers’ code
2 hours -
Deputy CEO of EPA rides to work, sparks debate on safety and clean transport
2 hours -
NSA and UNFPA unveil work readiness programme to train 150,000 graduates annually
2 hours
