Audio By Carbonatix
Blighted by an alarming crime rate, Brazil is boosting its 2014 FIFA World Cup security budget to 1.879 billion Brazilian real (£560 million/$900 million/€680 million) to make sure the event is "one of the most protected sports events in history," the Government has announced.
The country plans to have one police officer for every 50 people attending matches, and one for every 80 at other public viewing venues around the country.
"The Government has made a programme to compile the measures needed for everyone's security," said Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo.
"This is an item that we face with much importance."
As well as being worried about infrastructure being behind schedule ahead of staging its first World Cup since 1950, FIFA has consistently expressed concern about Brazil's burgeoning crime rate, particularly in the sprawling areas of SĂŁo Paulo.
"We are seeing a big wave of crime in São Paulo, which is not good for its image or tourism," FIFA general secretary Jérôme Valcke said last month.
However, Brazil 2014 said the issue will be addressed to cope with thousands of fans pouring into the country for the World Cup.
"Security has become an ever-increasing issue for major sporting events in the past decade," the organising committee said in a statement.
"This has increased the level of information exchange between countries that have recently hosted events to ensure public safety."
At the last World Cup in South Africa in 2010, the Government invested 640 million rand (£45 million/$732 million/€560 million) to deploy 31,000 police officials during the tournament and set aside a total security budget of 1.3 billion rand (£92 million/$1.5 billion/€1.1 billion).
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Luv FM High School Debate: KNUST, St. Louis strike gold as quarter-finals dreams come alive
20 minutes -
Banks’ pre-tax profit jumps 40% to GH¢23bn
20 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: Anticipation builds as schools battle for supremacy in Round of 16
46 minutes -
Banking sector deposits jump 25% to GH¢334.3bn in 2025 — PwC
1 hour -
Hostel Owners Association bares teeth over legality of rent control campaign against exorbitant fees
1 hour -
GCB overtakes Ecobank as Ghana’s largest deposit-taking bank
1 hour -
Young Cocoa Farmers petition Mahama over funding, producer price and start date for new cocoa season
1 hour -
Ruha Benjamin challenges Africa to shape its own AI future
1 hour -
Trump threatens to bomb US ally Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ over Iran deal
2 hours -
FIFA sacks senior executive who criticised Infantino, Sky News understands
2 hours -
Aksa saga: Don’t turn EOCO-OSP roles into turf war – Deputy AG
2 hours -
Abandoned Dome-Berekuso-Kitase road project should not become a waste of taxpayers’ money — chief warns
2 hours -
University of Gold Coast graduates urged to prove themselves beyond certificates
2 hours -
GoldBod sets new X-Ray Fluorescence standard for gold purity testing from September 1
2 hours -
Why EOCO, not OSP, is leading AKSA bribery probe – Deputy AG explains
2 hours