Audio By Carbonatix
A young police officer who was shot in the head during the Bondi Beach attack has been released from hospital.
Probationary Constable Jack Hibbert - who is just four months into the job - was patrolling a Hanukkah event when two gunmen opened fire, injuring over 40 people and killing 15.
The 22-year-old, who was also hit in the shoulder, has lost vision in one of his eyes but is now recovering at home, his family confirmed in a statement.
"As a family, we couldn't ask for anything more - having our Jack home, especially for Christmas, truly feels like a miracle."
They thanked the public for their "overwhelming support" and praised medical staff for their "exceptional" care and dedication.
"While he is home, he is still recovering and will need space, support, and continued positive thoughts during this time," the statement added.
Even after he was shot during the attack, Constable Hibbert continued to help festival attendees until he physically couldn't, his family previously said.
"Many of his colleagues who were present on the night of the incident have visited in hospital and given testaments to Jack's bravery during the incident... They described how Jack acted, he moved toward people in need, not away from danger," they said.
He was one of two police officers injured in the shooting, with the second officer Constable Scott Dyson, 25, still recovering from his injuries in hospital, according to the last police update.
Last week, NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon visited Constable Hibbert in hospital, praising him as a "positive young man".
Lanyon added that the force would rally around Constable Hibbert and find "appropriate duties for him" after his recovery.
Police have alleged the suspected gunmen were inspired by Islamic State ideology and targeted the Jewish festival in what has been declared a terror attack.
Naveed Akram, 24, has been charged with 59 offences, including 15 counts of murder and one of terror. A second gunman - his father, Sajid Akram - was shot dead by police at the scene.
On Monday, new court documents alleged the pair "meticulously" planned the attack for months, and two days prior to the shooting, visited Bondi for reconnaissance.
Latest Stories
-
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
12 minutes -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
21 minutes -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
39 minutes -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
46 minutes -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
51 minutes -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
53 minutes -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
56 minutes -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
1 hour -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
1 hour -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
1 hour -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, calls for urgent environmental action
1 hour -
TMA holds first ordinary meeting, discusses development, challenges, progress
1 hour -
PAC calls for closure of livestock market near the national mosque
1 hour -
Security agencies don’t need my permission to arrest you – Speaker Bagbin to MPs
1 hour -
Ghana and Togo strengthen cooperation on security, trade and regional development
1 hour