Audio By Carbonatix
Alleged Bondi Beach gunman Naveed Akram has sought a court order to prevent media from publishing details of his immediate family over concerns about their safety.
The 24-year-old, who faces 59 charges including 15 counts of murder over the 14 December attack on a Jewish festival, did not appear in person at Monday's hearing.
His lawyer applied to the court in Sydney on his behalf for a non-publication order on the names, addresses and places of work and school for his mother, brother and sister.
Magistrate Greg Grogin granted a temporary order, citing global interest in the case - but noted that the name of Akram's mother had already been widely published.
"Hasn't the horse already bolted on that?" he asked.
A lawyer for News Corp Australia - which owns Sky News Australia and numerous prominent newspapers - present at the hearing at the Downing Centre Local Court said the company would likely challenge the order. The matter is due to return to court briefly next week.
Akram's mother spoke to media in the aftermath of the shooting to defend her son.
His father, Sajid Akram, was shot and killed in a shootout with police at the scene of the attack.
Naveed Akram, who was critically injured, has yet to enter a plea. He said only one word when he appeared in court for the first time last month, answering "yeah" when asked if he had heard a discussion about an extension of different suppression orders.
Prosecutors have alleged that the two gunmen, inspired by Islamic State, acted alone and were not part of a wider cell. The attack was Australia's worst mass shooting since the 1996 Port Arthur attack.
Latest Stories
-
Africa urged to overhaul climate finance rules and regulations to unlock investment
13 minutes -
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
55 minutes -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
1 hour -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
1 hour -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
1 hour -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
2 hours -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
2 hours -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
2 hours -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
2 hours -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, calls for urgent environmental action
2 hours -
TMA holds first ordinary meeting, discusses development, challenges, progress
2 hours -
PAC calls for closure of livestock market near the national mosque
2 hours -
Security agencies don’t need my permission to arrest you – Speaker Bagbin to MPs
2 hours