Private Legal Practitioner, Samson Lardi Anyenini, has expressed frustration over how some people invited to the national security for investigations are treated.
According to him, such persons are often subjected to various forms of torture, including physical assaults, denial of right to engage lawyers among others while in custody.
“This country will be shocked to hear the stories of people who have had an encounter with the National Security. People have complained of they being tortured,” he said.
The call follows reports of assaults against Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah for allegedly filming at the secretariat’s premises in Accra.
Speaking on the Super Morning Show, Friday, the Lawyer condemned the act, insisting that the mode of arrest was unnecessary.
He called for investigations into the matter, adding that operatives involved should be brought to book.
He also called for the establishment of an independent body that will be responsible for investigating cases of abuses reported against National Security operatives. He says this will confirm what happened to Mr Kudah.
“Once we do that we will find stories and credible situations that confirm what happened to Caleb as a consistent, above-the-law attitude, conduct on the part of these guys who are put in this regime security,” he said.
He further appealed to the newly appointed Special Prosecutor, Kissi Agyebeng, to ensure that the officers do not misconduct themselves, once he assumes office.
- Construction work by manufacturing company causing artificial earthquakes in Bortianor – Residents
- Shatta Wale showers dollars on Nana Ama Mcbrown
- Auditor General indicts former Nhyieso MP over failure to recover ¢500k of Assembly’s Common Fund
- Defence and Finance Ministers to answer questions in Parliament over Presidency’s hiring of private jet for foreign travels
- ‘I miss living life with you’ – T. B. Joshua’s wife marks his 58th birthday
- One of 2 robbers who attacked and robbed motorist on Fiesta Royale-GIMPA stretch arrested
- TUTAG to proceed with strike action despite NLC order
- There’s no law that compels a woman to adopt her husband’s name after marriage – Legal expert
- GPL wrap: Hearts extend lead at top, King Faisal climb out of relegation zone
- #FixTheCountry: Leave social media, come and plant trees – Oti Regional Minister to campaigners
Live updates: Appointments Committee resumes vetting of Deputy Ministers-designate
Euros On MGL: Spain v Sweden betting preview
Effutu paramount chief cautions trespassers against reserved lands
Euros On MGL: Poland v Slovakia betting preview
Euros On MGL: Scotland v Czech Republic betting preview
Ghana set to produce its own vaccine – Presidential Advisor on Health
Livestream: Day 9 – Appointments Committee vets Thomas Mbamba, Abdulai Abanga and 2 others
We are working with Political authorities to get Hudson-Odoi- GFA president
Nii Marmah Boye: Security at GIMPA; What the school must do
Auditor General indicts KMA for using Assembly’s Common Fund to pay judgment debt
Use digital platforms to reduce paper usage – Ursula
FixTheCountry case adjourned over late filing of documents
Playback: Foreign Minister to address the nation on Ghana’s election to UN’s Security Council, 59th ECOWAS meeting
Asantehene commends board and management of ADB for refocusing on its core mandate
GRA optimistic of addressing automation tax payment challenges by July