The implementation of a 3% withholding tax by the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA)has been unsuccessful, according to a study by the Africa Centre for Energy Policy (ACEP).
It said the report shows that 95% of small scale miners sampled said they never received tax certificate for 3% withholdings payments to gold buyers.
This comes on the heels of a leaked document from the Precious Minerals Marketing Company (PMMC) revealing that since the introduction of the 3% withholding, the purchase and export of gold has witnessed a downward dive.
The Company has complained to the Finance Ministry over the 3% withholding tax on gold trade.
It argued that the withholding tax on gold purchase has become a major issue of concern among its stakeholders including foreign and local gold buyers who patronize their laboratory.
It added that the traders make a meagre profit after paying the withholding tax and it has affected government revenue.
The document indicated that since the introduction of the 3% tax on gold purchase and export, the operations of PMMC has seen a downward dive.
The exporters are complaining that they are not getting the commodities to buy because the producers are selling their commodities to those who do not demand the 3% withholding tax.
This development also means government is losing revenue as the gold producers and buyers are either storing or smuggling their commodities through illegal routes.
- Citi FM journalist gained access to National Security premises under false pretences – Chief Director
- NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
- Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
- I feared for my life so I lied about being an Ewe – Caleb Kudah
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Dzata Cement denies claims of selling product at ¢30 per bag
- Information Minister visits Citi FM over alleged assault on 2 of its journalists
- Coach Paa Kwasi Fabin names 27-man Black Meteors squad to face Japan
- Akufo-Addo visits France, Belgium and South Africa as part of post-Covid-19 engagements
- Caleb Kudah didn’t breach Code of Ethics – GJA General Secretary
Mother of 8-year-old boy without feet calls for support
ADB denies shifting from core business to real estate
CSIR to revive Scientific Instrumentation to take care of faulty equipment
Affail Monney beats a retreat and apologises for ‘any misimpression’
Boys development advocate calls for global observance of World Day For the Boy
Papa’s Pizza donates boxes of pizza to Chief Imam
Full text: Affail Monney’s apology statement over attack on Citi FM journalists
Yamkela Makupula: Decolonising Africa’s economies is the solution to an integrated continent
NRSA upscales road safety measures on highways
Enterprise Life names Diana Hamilton and Kofi Kinaata as brand ambassadors
Information Minister visits Citi FM over alleged assault on 2 of its journalists
Domestic violence still rife in Upper West Region – Action Aid Ghana
Tokyo 2020: United States track and field team cancels pre-Olympic training in Japan
NCCE urges security agencies to be neutral
Aymeric Laporte switch from France to Spain approved by Fifa