Audio By Carbonatix
A blast has tore through a mosque in Afghanistan’s northeastern city of Kunduz during Friday prayers, causing multiple deaths, according to the Taliban.
“This afternoon, an explosion took place in a mosque of our Shia compatriots … as a result of which a number of our compatriots were martyred and wounded,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Twitter, adding that a special unit was arriving at the scene to investigate.
A health official told AFP news agency the blast left 15 people dead and dozens others wounded.
“We have received more than 90 wounded patients and over 15 dead bodies, but the number will change. We are still receiving more people,” said a Doctors Without Borders (MSF) hospital worker, who did not want to be named.
Meanwhile, a Taliban official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Reuters news agency that at least 28 people had been killed in the explosion and dozens more wounded.
Residents in Kunduz, the capital of a province of the same name, told AFP news agency the blast hit the mosque during Friday prayers.
Graphic images shared on social media, which could not immediately be verified, showed several bloodied bodies lying on the floor. Another video showed men shepherding people, including women and children, away from the scene.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
There have been several attacks, including one at a mosque in Kabul, in recent weeks, some of which have been claimed by an armed group affiliated to ISIL (ISIS).
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
53 minutes -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
59 minutes -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
2 hours -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
2 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
4 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
5 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
5 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
5 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
6 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
6 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
7 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
7 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
7 hours