Audio By Carbonatix
President Nana Akufo-Addo has continued his tough-talking campaign to rid Ghana of politically related violence.
The President in his speech on the 62nd Independence anniversary appealed to the two main political parties, New Patriotic Party and the National Democratic Congress, to pursue decorum in their discourse.
He noted that competitive politics would always thrive on debates and heated arguments, “sometimes with raised voices.”
Akufo-Addo said the “leaders of the political parties, however, have a great responsibility to set the tone for political discourse.”

Cross section of attendants at the ceremony in Tamale
“…in the midst of those raised voices, there must be mutual respect,” he told the gathering at the Aliu Mahama Sports Stadium in Tamale, Wednesday, March 6.
Elections must be violent free
Speaking on electoral related violence, Akufo-Addo loathed the culture of young men being deployed to intimidate the opposing party.
“There should be no room for violence in this process [elections],” he said adding that “success should not be measured by how many young people can be marshalled to disrupt elections or how many broken bones we can count.”

The President also noted that he is hopeful the “impending dialogue” between the two main political parties the NPP and the NDC on ending electoral related violence will succeed.
Meet next week over party militia - Akufo-Addo rallies NPP, NDC leaders
He reiterated comments he made in his State of the Address last month that he would spare no effort in ensuring the culture of violence in elections ends; including imitating legislation into the matter.

NPP and NDC dialogue
On Tuesday, the President responded to a letter the National Chairman of the opposition NDC wrote him concerning the dialogue.
Akufo-Addo in his response dismissed most concerns the NDC Chairman, Samuel Ofosu Ampofo raised, causing some analysts to question his commitments to ending the menace.
The President, for instance, noted that he sees no reason why other political parties should be invited to the said deliberations.
He also dismissed calls for civil society organisations and the media to be invited; arguing that such groups do not engage in electoral violence.
NDC’s response
The Deputy Communications Officer of the NDC in an interview with Joy FM expressed disappointment in Akufo-Addo’s response to their Chairman.
Latest Stories
-
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
18 minutes -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
2 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
2 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
3 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
3 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
3 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
3 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
3 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
3 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
3 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours -
Public pay system must balance fair wages with fiscal sustainability – Government
3 hours -
Niharika Handa makes history as King Faisal’s first female Board Chair
3 hours