The Accra Metropolitan Assembly on Monday cleared remnants of traders at the Novotel Park to pave way for the assembly’s development projects.
Monday’s demolishing exercise comes after the AMA had served the traders eviction notices about three months ago.
As at mid-morning when Myjoyonline.com arrived at the scene, the AMA Task Force with the support of heavily armed police personnel were fending off some of the traders who were attempting to salvage their wares. They hurled insults at the authorities for refusing them further time.
The AMA has relocated the traders to the Pedestrian Shopping Mall at Odawna near Kwame Nkrumah Circle.
Watch video of the demolition exercise
Speaking to Myjoyonline.com, Latifa Sherrif, a salt seller who claimed to have been selling at the park for three years said traders at the new venue were refusing them admission to the market. She said the Pedestrian Shopping Mall was not a suitable market because they would not be able to make sales when they move there.
She said she has lost all her goods through the demolishing exercise and called on the government and authorities to give them a better place to sell to prevent them returning to the streets to hawk goods to make a living.
- Election 2020: It is absolutely preposterous to think NDC didn’t collate its results – Afriyie Ankrah
- Headmaster found hanging dead from a tree behind his house in Techiman
- ‘I find myself in a very enviable position’ – Hassan Tampuli on ministerial appointment
- 5 Ghanaians arrested in Dubai for smuggling weed; one jailed for 10 years
- Power providers can’t guarantee consistency with ‘dumsor’ timetable – Energy Analyst
- Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
- Kumasi traders call on ECG to extend ‘dumsor’ timetable to Ashanti region
- Hyundai, KIA to establish assembly plants in Ghana in 2022
- There’s no scientific evidence that Free SHS led to success in WASSCE – Peter Anti
- Ghana School of Law to celebrate legacy of Okyeame Baffour Osei Akoto
Armed illegal chainsaw operators frustrating forestry officers in Dormaa West District
Protect Ghana’s Covid-19 strides – GHS advises increased adherence to protocols
Court jails labourer 15 years for defilement
Eli Hini appointed as first CEO of MobileMoney Limited
Government procures 4 more pre-assembled P3 labs for Covid-19 testing – Dr Kuma-Aboagye
2020 Volta Regional Best Cocoa Farmer awardees finally receive prizes after Joy News report
Obour reacts to Mark Okraku Mantey’s deputy ministerial appointment
Senior U.S. commerce official discusses trade partnership with Ghanaian businesses
Some 33 immigrants from West Africa deported for using unapproved routes
Dam serving about 3900 residents of Yoggu dries up
Consultants who overprice road projects will be prosecuted – Roads Minister
Sekondi-Takoradi to have a dual carriage road
Fate of AirtelTigo must not be like most government parastatals – Sam George
African countries at risk of major measles outbreak over delayed vaccination exercise, WHO says
Joe Biden commits to slashing US greenhouse gas emissions by 50% by 2030 – nearly doubling its previous target