Police and Army joined forces to help bring calm to North Tongu and surrounding constituencies after riots

A man has been found dead in Nyatsignor, a village in the North Tongu constituency, following the riots caused by the secessionist group Western Togoland Restoration Front (WTRF), on Friday, September 25.

According to the security council in the Volta Region, the man is suspected to have been caught in the crossfire during the shoot out that ensued between the country’s joint security forces and the WTRF.

This is the second death that has been recorded following the disturbances.

Speaking on Top Story, JoyNews’ correspondent Ivy Setordjie reported that the body was found by an elderly man in the community on Saturday, a day after the riots

According to the report, the police arrived at the scene on Monday to carry the body away.

Meanwhile, about 300 people are reported to have fled the town following the riots.

The riots

The secessionist group Western Togoland Restoration Front in the early hours of September 25, blocked major entries into the Volta Region claiming independence as Western Togoland.

Most passengers travelling to areas in the Volta Region including Tefle, Tsopoli, and Juapong were left stranded as a result of the development.

The secessionists also attacked the Aveyime and Mepe police stations in the North Tongu District of the Volta Region.

The group of armed men, numbering about 50, forcibly took over both stations simultaneously; overpowering the police officers and making away with the weapons in the armoury.

The group at Mepe after hoisting a Western Togoland flag joined their colleagues at the Aveyime police station, seized two police vehicles, held 3 officers, including the Police Chief, hostage and injured one.

Doctors who attended to the Police Chief have revealed that they retrieved 19 pellets of D B bullet from the body.

Speaking to JoyNews, the Medical Director of Bator Catholic Hospital, Dr Bernard Atuguba said although the other two officers were severely injured, Divisional Police Commander, ASP Dennis Fiakpui was the only one who reported to the hospital with a gunshot injury.

One member of the group is reported to have died in a fire exchange with the joint security team which had been deployed to restore calm.

Thirty-One people were arrested and brought to the offices of the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) office in Accra for questioning into happenings in the region.

Meanwhile, government has distanced itself from the attacks by the secessionists engaged in the revolt.

The Information Minister said claims that the occurrence is part of a ploy by the Akufo-Addo-led administration to unnecessarily heighten security presence in the Region are figments of some people’s imagination.

However, Tamale North MP Alhassan Suhuyini says it is imperative for President Akufo-Addo to address the nation on the issue of the Volta separatist group trying to declare the Volta Region an independent country.

According to him, the President’s credibility as ECOWAS chairman will be called into question if the violence that occurred on Friday is not addressed.

Also, the Communications Officer of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) has called for an independent investigation into the attack of some police stations by suspected members of the secessionist group.

Sammy Gyamfi said the government is complicit considering its failure to nip their activities in the bud as the police claim to have had intelligence prior to the event.