Audio By Carbonatix
Nene Kwaku Agblorm II, a traditional ruler and 26 others who are suspected to be secessionists have now been charged with treason.
The suspects are said to have on September 25, this year in the Volta Region, prepared to carry out an unlawful means and enterprise to usurp the executive powers of the Republic.
In an amended charge sheet, they are also facing charges of conspiracy, participating in campaign of a prohibited organisations namely Western Togoland, conspiracy to causing unlawful damage, causing unlawful damage, stealing, rioting with weapons.
The Court did not read out the charges and facts to the accused persons.
This brought about several arguments by seven lawyers who represented some of the accused person as to why the Police were in court and on what charges.
According to the various lawyers, their clients had not been fed well whiles in custody and some of the accused persons had serious health issues as they had been denied the right to take their medication.
According to the lawyers, their clients were mostly bread winners of their families. The lawyers prayed the Court to admit their clients to bail so that they could seek health care, adding that they would not hamper investigations.
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Sylvester Asare informed the Court that it lacked the jurisdiction to grant bail to the accused persons following the new charges.
ASP Asare said the Police had complied with the orders of the Court including giving the accused access to their lawyers and relations.
According to prosecution, the Police had also been taking some of the accused persons who sustained gunshot wounds to the hospital.
The Court presided over by Mrs. Rosemary Baah Torsu, in her ruling, declined bail, saying it also lacked the jurisdiction to grant bail.The court adjourned the matter to November 9.
In a related development, 51 alleged secessionists were discharged by the court. However, soon after their discharge, they were re-arrested and charged with treason felony among others.
The 51, who were remanded into custody, will reappear on November 4.
Latest Stories
-
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
4 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
4 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
4 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
4 hours -
Man Utd agree ÂŁ70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
5 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
5 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
5 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
5 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
6 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
6 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
6 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
7 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
7 hours