Barcelona have confirmed Ansu Fati will be out for the next four months following knee surgery.
The 18-year-old was injured during Barca’s 5-2 win over Real Betis on Saturday, rupturing the internal meniscus in his left knee.
A Barcelona statement read: “The first team player Ansu Fati has been operated on successfully by Dr Ramon Cugat for the injury to the internal meniscus of his left knee under the supervision of the Club’s medical staff. The player will be out for approximately four months.”
HUGE BLOW FOR BARCA AND THEIR RECORD-BREAKER
With 10 appearances and five goals so far this season, Ansu had already made the step up in terms of his role for Barca this year, so of course, the injury will be a bitter blow for both player and club in terms of his development.
Barca’s youngest ever league goalscorer also became Spain’s youngest scorer back in September, but so long as his absence remains at four months then the forward will have a chance to make his country’s squad for the European Championships next summer.
In the meantime, Fati’s injury will likely boost Ousmane Dembele’s prospects of starting more regularly for Barca.
Ansu, Lionel Messi, and Antoine Griezmann have all started six league matches and come off the bench once, but Koeman will have to reshuffle the pack in light of this latest news.
Dembele is the obvious choice, having made three Liga starts and two further sub appearances, but 20-year-old Francisco Trincão will also get further chances to impress given he has come off the bench seven times in the league already.
- Sam George: Lack of bed and ambulance led to death of a 12-year-old
- Ordering loophole allowed students to eat for free at KFC for six months
- Woman attacked by wild antelope succumbs to death
- Ernest Ako (Former IGP)
- Parliament will carry out its own investigation into alleged assault on Citi FM journalists – James Agalga
- Accounts of how some people are treated by National Security shocking – Samson Lardi
- Playback: Newsfile discusses alleged assault on Citi FM journalists, Otumfuo joins ‘galamsey’ fight
- Social media reacts to Affail Monney’s apology on Citi FM journalist’s breach of ethics comment
- I’m surprised DSP Azugu is still at post after Ayawaso West Wuogon violence – James Agalga
- Complaints by aggrieved KATH staff have been resolved – Head of Surgery Directorate
Emotional Stephen Appiah tears up talking about son Rodney
Attacks on journalists: Seek help from international bodies if national agencies fail to address problem – Ken Ashigbey
Shun party politics at the workplace – Central Regional Minister
GPL: Four games to lookout for on matchday 25
Wesley Girls no fasting policy: Peace Council calls on Ghanaians to be circumspect in pronouncements
Israel strike in Gaza destroys building with AP, other media
Chinese busted for mining at River Pra by military task force
Rotary Club builds classroom block for Yahima SDA
Government must involve local communities in anti-galamsey campaign – Galamsey Researcher
We’ll fully cooperate with Energy Minister to facilitate lifting of new LPG outlets ban – LPG Marketers Association
Covid-19 has affected blood mobilisation – Dr Srofenyo
We have $200m for you to borrow – ECOWAS Bank to governments, businesses
Ban on drumming and noisemaking imposed in Korle-Klottey as preparations towards Homowo begin
US to deepen bilateral relationship with Ghana as United Airlines recommences flights to KIA