Audio By Carbonatix
US President Donald Trump has demanded that Sweden "give ASAP Rocky his freedom" in a series of tweets.
The musician, real name Rakim Myers, has been charged with assault causing actual bodily harm in Stockholm. He will remain in custody until a trial takes place.
Mr Trump said on Twitter that Sweden had "let our African American community down".
ASAP was arrested on 3 July following a fight that was captured on video.
Two other men who were with them at the time have also been charged with assault. The musician says that his group was being followed by a group of men and he acted in self-defence.
Donald Trump said last week that he had spoken to Swedish prime minister Stefan Lofven about ASAP's case.
However, on Thursday the president wrote that he was "very disappointed" in Mr Lofven for being "unable to act" and urged him to "treat Americans fairly".
A spokesperson for Mr Lofven responded by saying that the Swedish judicial system, prosecutors and courts were independent, the government was not allowed to influence legal proceedings and "everyone is equal before the law". Daniel Suneson, the Swedish prosecutor in charge of the case said that he had not spoken to any White House representatives or any representatives of the Swedish government while investigating the case. He added that there was "an obvious risk that these three suspects would leave the country if they were released". On Wednesday, the rapper's mother pleaded for the release of her son. Renee Black told Swedish newspaper Expressen that ASAP "isn't really eating properly." Other celebrities such as Kim Kardashian West and Kanye West have also called for ASAP's release. More than 500,000, including fellow artists Nicki Minaj and Post Malone, have signed an online petition calling for the rapper to be released on bail. The trial is due to start on 30 July.Give A$AP Rocky his FREEDOM. We do so much for Sweden but it doesn”™t seem to work the other way around. Sweden should focus on its real crime problem! #FreeRocky
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 25, 2019
How ASAP Rocky's arrest unfolded
A video published online appears to show ASAP Rocky punching another man in the street. In videos posted to ASAP Rocky's Instagram afterwards, he and the people he's with repeatedly tell a pair of men to stop following them. One of the men accuses the 30-year-old's team of breaking his headphones. In the caption for the first video ASAP Rocky writes: "We don't know these guys and we didn't want trouble. They followed us for four blocks." In the second, he accuses the man of hitting his security guard "in the face with headphones". The 30-year-old was in Stockholm to perform at Smash festival.DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
1 hour -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
2 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
2 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
3 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
4 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
4 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
4 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
4 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
4 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
4 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
4 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
6 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
6 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
6 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General SuperintendentÂ
6 hours