Audio By Carbonatix
Atlas Commodities Limited has dismissed allegations that it exploited the public appointment of its founding Chief Executive, Ato Boateng, to gain unfair access to state infrastructure, describing such claims as “misleading and mischievous.”
In a statement dated February 24, the company said documents in its possession prove that its working relationship with the state-owned Produce Buying Company (PBC) predates Mr Boateng’s appointment as Deputy CEO of the Ghana Cocoa Board (COCOBOD) in February 2025.
“It will therefore be misleading and mischievous for any entity that is party to these agreements to suggest otherwise,” the company stated.
According to Atlas, it signed a Memorandum of Understanding with PBC in October 2023, more than a year before Mr Boateng took up public office.
The company also referenced a tripartite Sustainability Cooperation Agreement involving PBC, Atlas, and the Rostoff Foundation, which was signed on October 11, 2023.
Mr Boateng signed both agreements on behalf of Atlas in his capacity as Chief Executive at the time.
The agreements, Atlas explained, allowed it to use PBC’s operational infrastructure across cocoa-buying districts in exchange for providing financing support, international offtaker connections, and funding for certification under the Rainforest Alliance programme.
“This was a purely commercial arrangement, not a political favour,” the company said.
The clarification follows allegations by the Minority in Parliament that Atlas had been operating in PBC warehouses without proper authorisation, in breach of COCOBOD regulations, which prohibit the transfer of warehouse certificates between companies.
The Minority had argued that Atlas’s access to PBC facilities suggested undue influence arising from Mr Boateng’s position at COCOBOD.
Atlas, however, acknowledged that it temporarily used PBC depot facilities in the Volta Region in December 2025, but insisted this was done within the framework of its existing relationship with PBC.
The company said the facilities were made available at the invitation of PBC’s District Manager in Hohoe, and that jute sacks borrowed at the time were later fully replaced.
While defending its conduct, Atlas conceded that the authorisation for the facility use may not have gone through the highest corporate channels.
“Admittedly, access to the PBC facilities was granted at the district level within the context of established operational relationships,” the statement acknowledged.
The company noted that this procedural lapse, rather than any political interference, was the real issue.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr
2 minutes -
SSNIT clarifies hotel advertisement, denies sale reports
14 minutes -
Chelsea legend Cesar Azpilicueta announces retirement
17 minutes -
President Mahama starts 2-day Savannah tour with focus on roads and education
20 minutes -
Ghana positions itself as financial hub as Governor Asiama opens global markets congress in Accra
28 minutes -
Bagbin urges pragmatism on Sexual Rights Bill as parliament prepares for African Family Values Conference
30 minutes -
Ghana deepens economic cooperation with EU to boost trade and investment
32 minutes -
Africa to maintain steady growth over next three years – Bridgewater Advisors
1 hour -
Queiroz unavailable as Desmond Offei to lead Black Stars against Mexico
1 hour -
2026 Legacy Expo to reposition Africa’s beauty and wellness economy
2 hours -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP establish special-purpose company to drive Tema Industrial Park project
2 hours -
Ablakwa clarifies South Africa evacuation reports, assures support for all Ghanaians
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages: Friday, May 22, 2026
2 hours -
Africa urged to overhaul climate finance rules and regulations to unlock investment
2 hours -
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
3 hours