Audio By Carbonatix
AT&T Inc. said Thursday it would no longer sponsor Tiger Woods, joining Accenture in dropping support for the world’s top golfer, who’s taking a break from the sport to focus on his marriage after his admitted infidelity.
The phone company hasn’t used Woods’ image extensively in advertising, but its logo appeared on his golf bag. That deal had been billed as a “multiyear” agreement when it was signed early in 2009. Woods has also been the host of the AT&T National PGA Tour event since it started in 2007. The phone company said it would continue to sponsor the event, which will be held in Newtown Square, Pa., in July.
AT&T, which is based in Dallas, did not comment on its reasons for dropping Woods, or how much his contracts were worth. Woods has taken an indefinite leave from playing.
Woods’ agent, Mark Steinberg, had no comment on AT&T’s decision.
Consulting firm Accenture dropped the athlete two weeks ago, saying he was “no longer the right representative” of the company’s values.
Gillette, a unit of the Procter & Gamble Co., also has said it won’t air ads for its razors that include Woods or include him in public appearances.
Swiss watch maker Tag Heuer, a unit of luxury goods empire LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, also said that it would “downscale” its use of golfer Tiger Woods’ image in its advertising campaigns for the foreseeable future.
Electronic Arts Inc., which puts out the “Tiger Woods PGA Tour” series of golf video games, has not said what its plans are for the franchise. The company did not immediately return requests for comment Thursday.
Source: Yahoo Sports!
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Nato chief welcomes US sending 5,000 troops to Poland
2 minutes -
NIA pushes mandatory biometric verification as digital identity reforms expand
8 minutes -
Dress properly for visa interviews; it can influence approval – Ghana’s Ambassador to US urges
15 minutes -
Mahama unveils plans for second phase of ‘Big Push’ road programme for 2027
17 minutes -
President Mahama assures Savannah Region of imminent electrification works
19 minutes -
National Service Authority open to strategic partnerships – Ruth Dela Seddoh
21 minutes -
Mahama pledges to end double-track system by 2027 through expansion of technical and vocational education
23 minutes -
Delta Air Lines marks 20 years in Ghana, poised to offer travel options amid World Cup travel boom
27 minutes -
Turkish opposition fights court ousting of leaders in ruling boosting Erdoğan
31 minutes -
Australian man dies after falling down ravine on hike to Machu Picchu
32 minutes -
Ghanaian pilgrim dies during Tawaf ritual in Mecca
33 minutes -
Stakeholder dialogue in Tamale push for expanded agroforestry to tackle climate change and land degradation
35 minutes -
She refused to increase her sachet water price – and it changed her life forever
43 minutes -
Damang Mine concession should not be politicised — Mahama Ayariga
43 minutes -
An Indian bride dies, rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy
47 minutes