A bullion van was attacked by armed robbers at Gomoa Okyereko on the Kasoa – Winneba road Thursday afternoon.
This incident comes barely four days after a similar incident at Adedenkpo, near James Town in Accra, resulted in the death of a police officer, Constable Emmanuel Osei and a hawker, Afua Badu.
According to Adom Fm reporter, Kofi Adjei, the robbers shot at the front passenger seat, where a police escort was sitting, shattering the window in the process.
He said, the police escort, subsequently ordered the driver to speed off while he called for reinforcement.
The Winneba Police Patrol team dispatched to Mpata Junction rushed to the scene and started a gun battle with the robbers, but they fled the scene.
All passengers in the bullion van escaped unhurt. The money in the van remained intact.
Ghana has recently recorded a surge in daylight robberies.
Apart from the James Town incident, another policeman was killed while on escort duty on the Adansi Fomena road in the Ashanti Region.
The armed men, numbering about 10, allegedly shot Lance Corporal Martin Babah during an attack on the bullion van he was escorting.
- Court of Appeal Judge to be investigated for ‘suspicious ruling’
- Ras Nene confronts Achimota Mall security for stopping his team from filming
- Ghana returns to gold top spot as output jumps 32%
- Gold for Oil policy cornering BDCs – Dr. Ofori
- The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician, Modestus Zame laid to rest
- Tourists watch Russian man get devoured by shark on Egypt beach
- 2022/23 GPL final day: Medeama and Bechem title tug of war, Hearts of Oak’s relegation threat
- Playback: Burial service of The Multimedia Group’s Lead Camera Technician Modestus Zame
- Minority warns against turning Green Ghana Day events into corruption schemes
- ‘Spiritualist’ on trial for allegedly defrauding client of GHȼ85,000
- Vice President Bawumia has never held British or any other citizenship – Gideon Boako
- Life lounge with Edem Knight-Tay: Only because she is a woman
- I’ve been forced out over Partygate report – Boris Johnson
- 2023 AFCONQ: Chris Hughton replaces injured Alexander Djiku with Kasim Adams
- Media Coalition Against Galamsey frustrated at non-prosecution of Akonta Mining directors
- ISSER recommends adoption of electric vehicles to achieve a low-carbon transport sector
- Prof Frimpong Boateng is a role model for fighting ‘galamsey’, follow his examples – German Ambassador urges Ghanaians
- Special Prosecutor is guest on Newsfile on Saturday, June 10
- Unemployment in Ghana is highest among female youth – ISSER report reveals alarming disparities
- GrEEn project plants 2,000 trees in Ashanti and Western regions
- Asantehene leads tree planting in Kumasi as part of Green Ghana Day initiative
- Johnnie Walker Black Label and Red Label ‘step out of boxes’
- Sankalp West Africa Summit 2023 on entrepreneurship slated for June 12
- French Open 2023: Novak Djokovic through to final after Carlos Alcaraz injury
- Man Utd owners spoke to PSG chairman about Sheikh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani’s bid