Audio By Carbonatix
The airport in Australia's capital city of Canberra has been shut down due to the threat of approaching bushfires.
Flights were cancelled out of Canberra Airport, a 20 minute drive from Parliament House in the city centre.
A heatwave sweeping the nation's south-east caused existing blazes to flare up again on Thursday, officials said.
There are reports that a fire-fighting aircraft has crashed in the Snowy Mountains, two hours south of the capital.
The New South Wales (NSW) Rural Fire Service said it had lost contact with one of its large air tankers on Thursday afternoon.
There are more than 100 blazes raging across the state of NSW as hot and windy conditions return to the region.
In Canberra, officials issued emergency warnings urging people to stay away from the airport as two blazes threatened to breach the airfield perimeters.
Authorities said the blazes threatening Canberra Airport had escalated after first appearing on Wednesday.
The capital, located in an administrative region between Sydney and Melbourne, has had large blazes raging on its outskirts for weeks.
Smoke from the fires has caused severe air pollution problems, with the city suffering the worst air quality in the world for several days earlier this year.
Smoke from the fires shrouding Parliament House in Canberra on Thursday
Temperatures in Sydney on Thursday soared past 40C (104F) in the city's west.
"We've got thousands of kilometres of fire perimeter," NSW Rural Fire Services Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons told reporters on Thursday.
"All of the fires that we've still got, whether they're under control or are still being worked on, are going to be tested today."
By midday on Thursday, more than half a dozen blazes were burning at "emergency level" on the south coast.
Severe thunderstorms and hail caused havoc in Canberra and Melbourne earlier this week
Fire threat returns
Since September, Australia has battled an ongoing bushfire crisis which has killed at least 30 people. More than 10 million hectares - an area almost the size of England - have been destroyed in blazes which have had the most impact in NSW and Victoria states. Recent days of thunderstorms and rain across fire grounds had helped halve the number of blazes burning in the region since the start of the year. However, fire chiefs warned that the sporadic rain would only provide short-term relief ahead of the return of dangerous conditions.
Smoke from the fires shrouding Parliament House in Canberra on Thursday
Temperatures in Sydney on Thursday soared past 40C (104F) in the city's west.
"We've got thousands of kilometres of fire perimeter," NSW Rural Fire Services Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons told reporters on Thursday.
"All of the fires that we've still got, whether they're under control or are still being worked on, are going to be tested today."
By midday on Thursday, more than half a dozen blazes were burning at "emergency level" on the south coast.
Severe thunderstorms and hail caused havoc in Canberra and Melbourne earlier this weekDISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Minister Sam George inspects ‘One Million Coders’ centres in Greater Accra
2 minutes -
Major shake-up begins to make Ghana.gov simpler for citizens
43 minutes -
Ghana Immigration Service trains officers ahead of nationwide e-visa rollout
57 minutes -
Trade Ministry prepares for US Chamber of Commerce Trade Mission
1 hour -
We have all seen it – Kwakye Ofosu confirms early race to replace Mahama
1 hour -
One dead, several injured in head-on crash on Wenchi-Subinso road
2 hours -
FABAG backs GSA fight against ‘unjustified’ port charges
2 hours -
Manasseh Azure Awuni: President Mahama, I feel ashamed
2 hours -
GNFS responds to diesel tanker accident at Asuboi, no casualties recorded
2 hours -
Charles Amissah’s family sues 3 hospitals, doctors and AG, seeks GH¢20m compensation
2 hours -
Ghana signs MOU with ‘Google for Education’ to strengthen digital literacy
2 hours -
Ghana’s economic activity strengthens, but business confidence eases to 12.6% – BoG
2 hours -
Galamsey: Ahafo Security Council disbands illegal mining site, seizes five excavators
2 hours -
GSA and German partners distribute calibrated scales to traders in Techiman
2 hours -
National Peace Council urges calm over rising political tensions
2 hours