Audio By Carbonatix
President Nana Akufo-Addo has confirmed about 3,000 persons have lost their jobs as a result of the reforms in the financial sector.
He, however, added that “10,000 would have gone out of the window” had they not intervened.
Addressing journalists Friday, at the Jubilee House, Akufo-Addo reiterated his government’s chorus that lack of scrutiny in the erstwhile John Mahama administration, led to the challenges with the sector.
He said poor or no regulation by the central bank then, led to violations of the law by bank directors.

Eight banks collapsed since the clean-up began in 2017.
UT Bank and Capital Bank had their licenses revoked and they were taken over by GCB Bank.
Later, five banks lost their licenses and were merged to form the Consolidated Bank Ghana Limited and later Heritage Bank which went down January 2019 was acquired by the CBG.
The Bank of Ghana said the licenses were revoked due to liquidity challenges facing the bank.
Some of the banks also acquired their licenses under false pretenses; by presenting non-existent capital.
Since then, 23 Savings and Loans companies have also gone down.
Job losses
Speaking in September 2018, Deputy Employment Minister, Bright Wereko-Brobbey, said some 2000 persons would lose their jobs as a result of the clean-up.
He said the CBG could not absorb all the employees from the defunct banks.
Confirming the impact Friday, President Akufo-Addo put the “net figure around 3000.”
Former employees
A deputy manager in the now-defunct Capital Bank Raymond Dankwa now grills pork for survival.
When JoyNews spoke to him last year, Dankwa said he makes a living by grilling meat at events.
He told Joy News’ Justice Baidoo that he also started the ‘RaD Kitchen’ where he supplies food to the staff of financial and other institutions.
Edem Adimado, husband and father of two, also told JoyNews his reputation in the financial industry has been damaged due to his affiliation with Capital Bank.
He now drives an Uber to make ends meet.
Latest Stories
-
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
2 minutes -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
6 minutes -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
18 minutes -
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
2 hours -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
2 hours -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
2 hours -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
2 hours -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
2 hours -
Supreme Court to rule on injunction application on legal vacation today
2 hours -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
2 hours -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
2 hours -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours