The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has presented evidence to support its claim that hundreds of projects captured on government’s delivery tracker website are either nonexistent or stolen from the Mahama administration.

This comes after Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia’s claim that no government in the history of Ghana’s Fourth Republic has initiated more infrastructural projects than the Akufo-Addo government.

He made the statement at a town hall meeting held in Accra on Tuesday, August 18, 2020, and described the record as “second to none, with verifiable data to back up the claim”.

However, at a press briefing on Monday, the party’s Communication Officer, Sammy Gyamfi described the achievements presented by Dr Bawumia as deliberate distortion of facts.

“We [NDC] have no qualms about the decision of the Akufo-Addo government to showcase what they describe as achievemnets, however, the presentation Ghanaians were fed with by the failed economic messiah turned Mr didgitisation who has earned the dubious reputation of engaging in the worse form of deception and political chicanery, Dr Bawumia lacked candored and was full of deliberate distortion of facts calculated to deceive the unsuspecting public.

“The whole presentation by Mr Bawumia was a cocktail of blatant falsehoods, ghost projects, stolen protects and shockingly mediocre accomplishment,” he stated.

Mr Gyamfi further noted that some of the projects being touted the Akufo-Addo administration at an achievements are meant to be undertaken by district assembly level.

“Some projects will not pass for the achievements of a rural assemblyman, let alone the central government of the country that has had access to an unprecedented resources of over GH ₵370 billion in the last three and half years,” he said.

Dr Bawumia’s claim that government says it has initiated 17,334 infrastructure projects since its assumption of office in 2017 has renewed jabs and counter-jabs; with the NDC accusing the governing New Patriotic Party of refusing to give credit to the erstwhile administration for projects commenced and completed during its time in office.

Among other things, they have also accused government of touting their projects as personal achievements when there are documentary evidence to prove otherwise.

Already, former President John Mahama has thrown a challenge to his successor for a debate on the performance record of their respective governments, especially in the infrastructural development sector.

Mr Mahama who is now the flagbearer of the NDC said he is poised to compare records of both administrations to clearly assess who had done more for the country even though the incumbent government had earlier described infrastructural development as unnecessary, ahead of the 2016 elections.

This challenge has however been rejected by government with the Deputy Information Minister, Pius Hadzie calling it pointless.

But emphasising the stance of his party with regards to development, the former president said a new NDC government will devote its early years in power to completing abandoned projects before initiating new ones.