The US is to donate 500 million more doses of the Pfizer vaccine to developing nations from next year.
President Joe Biden made the pledge at a virtual Covid-19 summit on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, promising an “arsenal of vaccines”.
The additional jabs will see the total US commitment on vaccine sharing exceed one billion jabs.
Experts say some 11 billion doses are required to vaccinate at least 70% of the global population.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) has set a minimum target of 40% vaccine coverage in every country by the end of 2021.
But the goal is unlikely to be met.
While many high-income countries have now given at least one shot to more than half their populations, only 2% of people in low-income countries have had their first dose, according to data from the University of Oxford.
- Patients in danger as nurses head for NHS in UK – medics
- NDC punches holes into Supreme Court’s full judgement on Gyakye Quayson
- We won’t withhold our approval of Chief Justice nominee – Minority backs Gertrude Torkornoo
- Assin North By-election: Who has the edge – An analysis
- Our decision on Justice Torkonoo will be known after we peruse full judgement on Gyakye Quayson – Agbodza
- Disregard reported increase in HIV cases in Ho – Ghana Health Service
- Chris Hughton calls up Ransford-Yeboah Königsdörffer to replace injured Inaki Williams
- Kumawu roads construction: Residents unhappy with pace and quality of work
- Domelevo sings: Read English translation of his cryptic song
- Today’s front pages: Tuesday, June 6, 2023
- ‘Ducking hell’ to disappear from Apple autocorrect
- ‘Chemical mango’ video is fake – Federation of Associations of Ghanaian Exporters clears air
- Jason Derulo’s ‘most unsexy’ business investment in a car wash
- Presidential staffer declares support for Alan Kyerematen
- Gospel singer Rita Adomolga earns nominations in Ghana Music Awards USA
- Major Mahama’s Trial: ”l was at the wrong place at the wrong time” – Accused
- Agric Ministry confirms one case of Anthrax in Upper East region
- Saglemi Housing trial: Court orders former Chief Director to appear for plea to be taken
- UK-based Ghanaian youngster Tyrell Agyemang joins Middlesbrough from Manchester City
- Work as a technocrat, don’t meddle in local politics – John Jinapor tells World Bank Country rep
- Sudan conflict: Army accused of killing Congolese in campus bombing
- JAE5 teams up with Lojay, Libianca for ‘I Wish’
- Denmark has not abandoned Ghana – Ambassador
- Midwife delivers baby in speeding commercial vehicle
- Streaming service to detect and delete ‘deepfake’ AI songs