Audio By Carbonatix
Tensions flared at the Bogoso Prestea Mine on Tuesday, 17 June, after the Western Regional Manager of the Minerals Commission, Mr Francis Annobil Jr., failed to produce documentary evidence supporting claims that the Minister for Lands and Natural Resources had granted a mining lease to Heath Goldfields Limited (HGL) for the operation of the mine.
Addressing workers and community leaders on behalf of HGL, Mr Annobil asserted that the Minister had approved HGL’s lease application.

However, his inability to produce either a signed mining lease or an official letter from the Minister sparked agitation among the workforce, who accused him of lacking transparency.
“We want evidence, not words,” the workers insisted. “Produce the document or let the Minister himself make the announcement as promised.”
Efforts by Mr Annobil to convince the workers to cooperate with HGL despite unresolved issues, including the payment of outstanding arrears, were flatly rejected.
“Our demands remain unchanged,” said Mr Amoah Baidoo, a worker representative. “Whoever is granted the lease must pay all outstanding entitlements and provide a viable operational plan. The investor must be financially sound and technically competent.”
The workers demanded the immediate removal of HGL officials from the site until a formal announcement is made by the Lands and Natural Resources Minister, Hon Armah Kofi-Buah, who had earlier promised a public declaration during his visit to the mine on 24 May 2025.
The growing discontent prompted a high-level meeting involving Minerals Commission officials, HGL representatives, security agencies, and traditional leaders. Speaking on behalf of the six divisional chiefs of the mine’s host communities, Nana Akwasi Somprey II, Divisional Chief of Bogoso-Kokoase, criticised HGL’s handling of longstanding issues.
He accused the company of financial incapacity and selective payment practices, which he said undermined trust among the workforce.
“Traditional authorities have consistently demanded fairness,” Nana Somprey stated. “HGL has failed to ensure equal treatment of workers, refused to dewater the underground mine, and neglected to present a credible operational roadmap.”
The chief also condemned reports of the alleged removal of gold-bearing materials (concentrates) from the mine’s processing plant by HGL officials, despite no visible investment in revamping the mine.
In a bid to restore calm and ensure safety, Nana Somprey joined calls for the evacuation of HGL personnel from the site until the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources provides an official directive on the mine’s future.
Latest Stories
-
Oil set for second weekly rise as unsettled US-Iran war crimps supply
45 minutes -
US teen drops lawsuit against Meta, Google and Snap ahead of trial
55 minutes -
Meghan could return to acting once back in UK
1 hour -
Bali jails Swiss tourist for insulting sacred Day of Silence
1 hour -
At least 50 killed, mostly children, as overloaded boat capsizes in Nigeria
1 hour -
Cameroon president returns home after 10-week absence
2 hours -
Nii Lante Vanderpuye apologises to Sammy Gyamfi, NDC over GoldBod comments
4 hours -
US sanctions more Cuban companies and officials
4 hours -
There is something different this time – Dr Yamson hails Mahama govt’s economic management
4 hours -
Gold for Reserves has risky, but necessary – Dr Yamson backs Mahama govt’s gold strategy
5 hours -
‘You want the trade, but not the people?’ – Dr Yamson tears into South Africa’s xenophobia
5 hours -
Walmart sales under strain as US shoppers pull back
5 hours -
The Premier League’s new plan to end corner chaos
5 hours -
US Open offers biggest prize fund in Grand Slam history
6 hours -
‘I feel I am imprisoning myself’ – Djokovic on drive & doubts
6 hours