GN Insurance Holding Company has hinted it will be listing on the Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE) to offer an opportunity for Ghanaian investors to own part of the company.
Group Chairman of GN Group of companies, Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom, said this at a ceremony which saw one of his companies, GN Insurance, engage some insurance brokers to forge closer ties.
The plan to let Ghanaians own part of the company is to be executed in three years’ time.
“We are not developing GN Insurance only to go and sell it to some foreign insurance company to come and put their brand on what we have developed here in Ghana,” Dr Nduom said.
He added, “Perhaps in another two [to] three years, what we intend to do is to offer some of our shares to anybody who wants to become a part of what we do; not just of GN Insurance but of GN Life, GN Reinsurance, our health company and become a part of what we are building as GN Insurance Holding Company.”
This will mean that after operating for some time, the company’s shareholding structure will change all other things being equal.
Minimum capital requirement
Chief Executive Officer of GN Insurance Company, Albert Eyeson-Ghansah told JoyBusiness, his outfit would consider private equity funding as part of strategies to meet an increase in minimum capital requirement for the industry.
“We’ve been discussing this at the board level and our shareholders are very much aware of this so they are preparing for us to meet that minimum capital because GN Insurance is here for the long haul.
There are a number of options that we are looking at; we are looking at private equity funding, shareholders looking to put in extra money and ultimately we want to list like the Group President mentioned.”
Vice President of the Ghana Insurance Brokers Association (GIBA), Shaibu Ali, in a solidarity message, urged insurance firms to take insurance brokers seriously.
“If any insurance company decides to take any broker however small for granted, you’ll pay dearly for it.” Mr Ali said.
Dr Nduom, however, used the opportunity to rebrand the insurance companies, which is GN Insurance, GN Life Assurance, GN Reinsurance and the health insurance companies, as subsidiaries of GN Insurance Holding Company.
Chief Executive of GN Life Assurance, Fiifi Simpson has been appointed as Vice President of the holding company.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Mobile Network Operators challenge NCA fine
- The greed factor in investment decisions
- Societe Generale sells South African unit to ABSA
- NPA denies allegations of ‘reckless victimisation’ of local LPG operators
- Mobile telephony: State-operator relations - A land to clear
- Bill Gates: The best investment I’ve ever made
- Mining leases without ratification: ‘Prosecute’ past ministers – Dr Manteaw
- Vodafone tops nominations for IPR's 7th National Communication & PR Awards
- Key African Central Banks to hold rates on CPI, oil prices
- China's growth set to slow to 6.3% in 2019
- GRA to introduce new measure to control transit trading
- Moody’s lauds banking sector reforms
- Tullow targets drilling, completion of works on new wells in this year
- Ghanaian-Lebanese appointed CEO of MTN Afghanistan
- GUTA confident of possible reduction in import duties