Ghana’s Black Galaxies suffered elimination from the ongoing African Nations Championship (CHAN) after a 2-0 defeat to Niger in their quarterfinal tie on Saturday night.
A deflection off Konadu Yiadom in the first half and Soumana Hainikoye well-taken solo goal were enough to ensure Ghana crashed out of the competition.
Niger took the lead after just 11 minutes played after finding their way through the Black Galaxies defence.
It was the third time Ghana had conceded the first goal in a game at the competition as it did in games against Madagascar and Sudan.
Despite efforts to draw level before the break, Annor Walker’s men could barely threaten the opposition’s goalkeeper.
After the recess, Hainikoye gave Niger a perfect start to the second 45 minutes of the game.
The forward doubled the lead with a well-taken curler on the edge of Ghana’s box beyond the reach of goalkeeper Ibrahim Danlad.
Having seen his team go down by two goals, Walker introduced Gladson Awako and a host of players others into the game but those changes did very little have effect on the game.
The game ended 2-0 with Niger booking a place in the last four of the competition while the Black Galaxies exit.
The elimination also adds to Ghana’s failed attempts to clinch the CHAN tournament since its inception in 2009.
Ghanaian will receive a prize money of $400,000 from CAF for finishing as quarter-finalist.
Algeria, Senegal, Madagascar and Niger are the four teams in the semifinals of the competition being played in Algeria.
- I didn’t attend the seminary to become a Priest – Rev. Akua Boateng
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Ghana power firms reject move to restructure $1.4bn debt
- Livestream: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- Ghana is not poor, we are only being poorly managed – Dr. Ali-Nakyea
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- Funeral is a huge business – Veteran broadcaster Yaw Okyere
- They’re your battle scars – Yul Edochie urges Funke Akindele to restore deleted politics-related posts
- Parliament approves all six ministerial nominees
- Eugene Osei-Tutu: State funding of political parties; are we ready?
- Ho Central NDC primaries: It is time to reward loyalty and hard work – Randsford Kasu
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- Beyoncé and Adidas reportedly end partnership
- Foreign on indigenous: A look at Ghana’s fashion industry
- 2023 Onga Cook Art: Keta SHTS defeats Mafi Adidome SHS and three other schools to qualify for zonals
- Damongo primaries: Adam Mutawakilu should go unopposed – NDC polling station executives
- Parliament adopts new rules as MPs vote on fate of ministerial appointees
- Twitter will kill ‘legacy’ blue checks on April 1
- Minority to ‘do everything possible’ to reject Ministerial nominees – Murtala Muhammed
- Off-duty pilot flying as passenger takes over plane after captain becomes incapacitated mid-flight
- Qpee Vibez out with new Afrobeats song titled ‘Allo’