Audio By Carbonatix
Families of people who are trapped in the rubble from the church building collapse at Akyem Batabi in the Eastern are losing hope as the death toll rises to 22.
Rescue workers combed through the rubble overnight as they search for about 60 worshipers said to be praying in the building at the time of its collapse on Tuesday.
Whilst relatives wait anxiously for news of their loved ones, hopes are gradually fading as strong stench begins to emanate from the rubble.
As of Thursday, more bodies had been recovered from a previous nine deaths bringing the total number of deaths to 15.
Eight others have been hospitalised and many more trapped under the rubble.
The six-storey building collapsed whilst worshipers numbering about 60 had gathered to pray on Tuesday.
However, the exact number of persons still trapped under the debris is still unconfirmed. Â
The rescue team made up of NADMO officials, Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), the police, soldiers from jungle warfare, fire personnel and local volunteers are on the site.
Eastern Regional Minister, Eric Kwakye Darfuor visited the scene alongside the Chief Executives of Oda Municipal and Asene-Manso-Akroso District Assemblies
Mr Kwakye Dafour said the rescue effort will not stop until everyone is accounted for.
The bodies have been deposited at the Oda Government Hospital mortuary.
Meanwhile, the founder of the Church of Prosperity, Prophet Akoa Isaac, who was arrested by the Akim Oda Divisional Police Command has been given a self recognisance bail.
Latest Stories
-
Gender Ministry condemns alleged digital sexual exploitation by foreign national, vows legal action
11 minutes -
‘We realised the mess left behind’ – Asiedu Nketia blames Akufo-Addo gov’t for cocoa crisis
21 minutes -
Suspect in Zebilla police robbery and murder arrested
24 minutes -
‘I am safe and recovering well’ – Mohammed Sukparu reassures public after accident
30 minutes -
Bawumia thanks liaisons nationwide
36 minutes -
Africa must industrialise through green transition – AGN Chair
42 minutes -
Ghana’s economy still vulnerable to commodity swings and global tightening – PwC warns
44 minutes -
GCAA asked to prioritise airspace safety
47 minutes -
CPC welcomes 50% local cocoa processing directive
51 minutes -
AU Summit: Mahama, UN Chief discuss African security
55 minutes -
DOPASS students eat in an open shed
56 minutes -
NPA raises price floor for Feb. 16 window; petrol up to GH¢10.24, diesel pegged at GH¢11.34
59 minutes -
Police foil massive narcotics smuggling, reject GH¢80k bribe, seven arrested
1 hour -
Work to resume on UHAS multi-purpose laboratory complex – Volta Regional Minister
1 hour -
Alleged human trafficking syndicate busted at Pokuase
1 hour
