Days after his impressive knockout win against Jackson Marinez, Richard Commey has set his sight on three of the most relevant boxers in the lightweight division.
The 33-year-old seems to go along the lines of the saying “to be the best you must fight the best and craves for a date with either WBA, WBO and IBF champion, Teofimo Lopez, Gervonta Davis the WBA interim champion and Devin Haney the WBC champion.
In a recent conversation with K-Box TV, the New York-based boxer hardly minced his words, “I wanna be a world champion again. Whoever has got the title I want the title. People there have got titles right. So if you have the title you are a target.”
“I want the title. I think with Teofimo he is moving up in weight and he has a fight coming up,” he said.
Commey who wore a look of full recovery from his title loss to Lopez, came in guns blazing in his return bout against Jackson Marinez and delivered a good result – a sixth round knockout with his big right.
“I’m ready to fight anyone at 135. If Teofimo feels he wants to give me a rematch no problem. But I want a title and I want to fight any of them,” he said.
Interestingly, Teofimo Lopez who was responsible for the loss of his IBF title was at ringside to urge him on to victory. The champion also reached out to Commey in the dressing room to wish him well – a gesture many have hailed the American for.
Lopez is still undefeated in 16 fights and holds the WBA WBO and IBF titles. His walk to relevance began with Commey in December 2019 after which he stepped on to the big one with Vasyl Lomachenko. Once again Teofimo delivered a good performance and added Lomachenko’s WBA and WBO to his IBF making him an item of attraction in the division.
Commey’s hint that Lopez could move up in weight could open up opportunities if it is carried out by the American.
Gervonta Davis the interim WBA champion also brings to the table quality and a sweet track record to make him a target. Not only is he unscathed in 24 fights but has won 23 of them by knockouts. The southpaw is a ferocious puncher who has had previous stints with the IBF and WBA super featherweight titles.
Devin ‘The Dream’ Haney holder of one of the WBC title has a smooth run of 25 wins with 15 knockouts. The California-born champion had made a case for himself throughout his journey and rose to the occasion on his 23rd bout which saw him annex the WBC title after handing Russian, Zaur Abdullaev his first defeat at the Madision Square Garden in September 2019.
For now Commey is cooling off and should return to the gym soon with his trainer Andre Rosier, while awaiting what his team at Streetwise Management come up with.
Richard ‘R.C’ Commey became Ghana’s 10th boxing world champion after recording a second-round knockout of Isa Chaniev in February 2019.
- Social media reacts to how youth hooted at Akufo-Addo during concert
- NDC orchestrated the heckling of Akufo-Addo at Global Citizen Festival – NPP
- Apart from some senior players, no one is guaranteed a place – Andre Ayew on Ghana’s World Cup squad
- 23,495 Ghanaians test positive for HIV in 6 months
- Black Stars arrive to rousing welcome in Spain ahead of Nicaragua friendly
- Bagbin has not resigned from Ghana Bar Association – Dafeamekpor
- Frontiers Contract contains information we cannot disclose – Ghana Airports Company Ltd
- Ghana’s programme will focus heavily on debt sustainability – IMF
- Parliament approves fees for “access” to information
- ‘Stop the foolhardiness, Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival wasn’t orchestrated’ – Stan Dogbe tells NPP
- 14-year-old pregnant girl, 15 others rescued from being trafficked to Côte d’Ivoire
- Wa killings: 18 arrested so far
- I will choose Mahama over Akufo-Addo – Kumchacha
- Government begins second phase of discussions with IMF
- Halt the activities of Seven Seas salt company – Ketu South residents to government
- Livestream: PM Express discusses Ghana’s impending debt restructuring
- Ghana cannot avoid debt restructuring currently – Cassiel Ato Forson
- Super Clash: Asante Kotoko file complaint over officiating
- KCCR records zero cases of Covid-19 samples in 2 months
- Luv FM Habitat Fair: Republic Bank offers flexible mortgage packages for home ownership
- Stop abusing prednisolone for weight gain – Pharmaceutical Society of Ghana warns nursing mothers
- We won’t recognise Ghanaian doctors trained in war-hit Ukraine – Medical and Dental Council
- “I hope to play more matches and make the Black Stars successful” – Inaki Williams
- We must build on second half performance against Brazil – Inaki Williams
- Adwoa Boatemaa Adu-Poku wins CEEK Miss Ghana UK 2022