The Aquaculture Minister has asked fisher folks at Osu in the Klotey Korle Municipality in the Greater Accra Region to cooperate with authorities in the ongoing investigations to ascertain the reasons behind the death of the fishes that were washed ashore on Friday.
Mavis Hawa Koomson said it was important for some examination to be conducted to establish the wholesomeness or otherwise of the fishes before the public consumed it.
She also appealed to individuals who had consumed some of the fishes to avail themselves to be placed under medical surveillance.
The Minister made the appeal at a stakeholder durbar at Osu Anorho in Accra yesterday.
The durbar was to enable the inter-sectoral committee tasked to investigate the phenomenon to interact with the fisher folks and seek their opinion on the matter.
Mrs Koomson noted that, even though occasionally some amount of fishes had been washed ashore, the volume and magnitude of what happened over the weekend raised issues of concern.
She said samples had already been taken to the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) to be examined and the findings would be made public soon.
She said it was important that we remained each others keeper and ensured that our health was of paramount concern to all.
The Minister said government would not shirk its responsibility of protecting the citizenry, however, it would do so with the livelihood of the people in mind.
On her part, the Chief Executive Officer of the FDA, Mrs Mimi Darko said her outfit had commenced investigations into the circumstances that led to large scale of fishes been washed ashore dead.
She said the state in which the fishes were found at the beaches made it unwholesome for consumption, stressing that “Even if our investigations prove that they died through natural causes, it is important for us to note that how they were found at the beaches will not make it right for consumption.”
She said her outfit was there to ensure food safety for all and that was exactly why it was part of the inter-sectoral committee.
In their contribution, some of the fisher folks said the occurence was nothing new since occasionally, large volume of fishes were washed ashore.
According to them such incidence occurred occasionally due to changes in climatic conditions and they did not suspect any chemical pollution of the fishes.
Madam Abigail Nortey said she had eaten some of the fish already and did not believe it was unwholesome.
However, she said due to the call by the Minister, she was going to hold on with the consumption of what she had left in her custody until the report was made public.
Present at the meeting were the Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, Director of the Fisheries Commission, Mr Atta Dadze and the Chief Fisherman for Osu.
- Veteran actor Ekow Blankson has passed on
- Photos: Actor ‘Waakye’, laid to rest
- I am not into galamsey – Chairman Wontumi
- Gabby Otchere-Darko hangs out with Arsenal players after win over Spurs
- National Security arrests Imam for having links to jihadist group
- ECG conducting a system audit after technical challenge – General Manager
- Adwoa Smart cries at Prince Yawson’s funeral
- Kwasi Kwarteng’s U-turn won’t be forgotten
- Chiefs, DCEs, others to blame for worsening galamsey situation – Lands Minister
- ‘Task Ofori-Atta to seek help from Seth Tekper in addressing our economic miseries’ – Gyampo to Akufo-Addo
- Mohammed Kudus makes Eredivisie Team of the Month for September
- We will work day, night to clear backlog of passports – Foreign Affairs Minister
- Falling in love is easy — Staying in love is a choice
- Why love is messy but beautiful at the same time
- Nana Ampadu to be buried on October 8
- I don’t feel sabotaged – ECG MD on credit purchase challenges
- Uganda needs GridCo’s expertise in reliable power transmission – UETCL
- I broke down after old tweets resurfaced – KiDi
- What sounds are hot with Ghanaian Gen Zs right now?
- SSNIT launches Mobile Service Week at Ho
- Anny Osabutey: BHM Construction and Ningo-Prampram’s monstrous traffic
- Erik Ten Hag explains why he left Ronaldo on the bench in derby defeat
- Injured Baba Rahman to return before Ghana – Switzerland pre-World Cup friendly
- 100 Ukraine student returnees placed in medical schools in Ghana – Dr Nsiah Asare
- Declare state of emergency in mining areas – OccupyGhana to Akufo-Addo