Audio By Carbonatix
Several African states have imposed far-reaching restrictions in a bid to curb the spread of coronavirus.
South Africa has announced a ban on travel from the worst-affected countries and has banned gatherings of more than 100, while Kenya has also imposed sweeping travel restrictions.
The measures are an attempt to prevent a major outbreak on a continent with poor health services.
At least 27 African states have so far been affected by the virus.
Liberia, where more than 4,800 died during the Ebola outbreak of 2014 and 2015, has become the latest African state to report a case of coronavirus.
The executive director of the state-run Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Eugene Nagbe, tested positive after returning from Switzerland on Friday.
In total, more than 300 people have been diagnosed with the virus in Africa. Six deaths have been reported.
Most of the cases involve people arriving from Europe and North America.
But South Africa imposed the most severe restrictions on its citizens since the end of white-minority rule after reporting its first local transmission.
In an address to the nation on Sunday, President Cyril Ramaphosa declared a national disaster as the number of cases rose to 61.
"Initially, it was people who had travelled out of the country, especially from Italy, who had positively tested for the virus," he said.
"It is concerning that we are now dealing with internal transmission of the virus," Mr Ramaphosa said.
What else has South Africa done?
Mr Ramaphosa said he would chair a government command council that would "coordinate all aspects of our extraordinary emergency response".
Among the measures he announced are:
- The closure of nearly half - 35 out of 72 - of South Africa's land border crossings from Monday, along with two of its eight sea ports
- Banning foreign nationals from eight countries - including the UK and US - from entering South Africa from Wednesday
- Advising people to avoid domestic travel
- Shutting all schools with immediate effect until the end of the Easter holidays
- Banning all public gatherings of more than 100 with immediate effect. This forces the cancellation of the biggest annual event in South Africa - an Easter religious service attended by several million followers of the Zionist Christian Church at its headquarters in northern Limpopo province.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
1 hour -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
2 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
2 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
2 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
2 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
2 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
2 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
2 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
2 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
3 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
3 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
3 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
4 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
4 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
4 hours