Audio By Carbonatix
Four more people have died in a coronavirus outbreak in Washington state, bringing the total fatalities there to six.
These are the only deaths due to Covid-19 on US soil. The northwestern state declared a state of emergency over the weekend.
Five of the deaths occurred in King County, where Seattle is the main city.
There are now 18 confirmed cases in the region, where there are growing fears it may spread further.
Researchers who studied the first two Washington deaths had said the virus may have been spreading there for weeks, and suggested that up to 1,500 people may have been infected.
Kathy Lofy, Washington state's health officer, said cases were confined to two counties - King and Snohomish - but that it was possible it was spreading elsewhere.
She said the virus was "actively" spreading in those two counties.
King County is to buy a hotel so it can isolate the growing number of patients in the region. More schools in the Seattle closed from Monday as cases increased.
Dr Jeff Duchin, the chief health officer for Seattle and King County Public Health Agency, said there would be no widespread school closures at this stage, nor would major events be cancelled. But, he said, the number of cases is expected to increase.
"We are taking this situation extremely seriously," he said.
Elsewhere in the US on Monday:
- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the state's first case was a 39-year-old female health care worker who had been in Iran before returning to the US last week
- The woman did not take public transportation and is not believed to have been contagious either on the plane or in the car returning home. Her spouse, also a healthcare worker, is being tested
- Officials in Florida said a man in his 60s and a woman in her 20s who had returned from northern Italy had tested positive
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Burkina Faso attack: Desist from sharing gory images of victims – Muntaka
9 minutes -
Political scientist supports NDC dual-role directive, calls for legal backing
19 minutes -
GH¢5.7bn haemorrhage: Ghana’s tomato crisis exposed as Chamber of Agribusiness unveils 2030 rescue plan
23 minutes -
Fifi Kwetey slams opponents of directive on dual roles as ‘greedy’ and ‘mercenaries’
48 minutes -
Analyst condemns victim-shaming in Russian exploitation saga
48 minutes -
Ghana’s Blue Economy in 2026: Taking actions now, leveraging blue resources for sustainable growth
1 hour -
I was once a ‘Bob no rank’; Everybody will have their turn — Afenyo to TESCON members
1 hour -
Tony Aidoo urges NDC to focus on policy communication, not personal praise for Mahama
1 hour -
Akuafoɔ Anidasoɔ: A new dawn for Ghana’s farmers
1 hour -
NTC announces eligibility criteria and registration details for 2026 GTLE 1
2 hours -
No public land to be allocated without minister’s prior approval – Armah-Buah announces sweeping reforms to protect state lands
2 hours -
Ashanti Regional Minister inaugurates spatial planning committees, unveils plan to restore Kumasi’s green glory
2 hours -
St Thomas Aquinas SHS hit by infrastructure deficit; appeals for key facilities
2 hours -
Minority alleges gov’t plot to divert attention from cocoa price cut debate
3 hours -
Democracy Hub files court injunction to stop Ayawaso East by-election over vote-buying in NDC primary
3 hours
