Audio By Carbonatix
Shoppers in England are flocking to make last-minute buys ahead of lockdown, which will see non-essential retailers shut for a month.
The number of shoppers on Tuesday was up 19.1% compared with the same day last week, industry figures show.
Footfall saw particularly large increases in shopping centres and retail parks, according to Springboard.
Coronavirus: Shoppers flock to stores as lockdown looms https://t.co/vxNEIyPfIU
— BBC Business (@BBCBusiness) November 4, 2020
It said that there had "clearly been panic buying" as people rush to buy Christmas presents before shops close.
It comes as social media users have reported lengthy queues outside stores such as Primark, Zara and The Card Factory.
Clothes shops and card retailers are among those non-essential retailers who will have to shut their doors for the month-long lockdown from Thursday 5 November.
Why why WHY am I in the queue for the primark in town like why am I doing this to myself ?????
— Fran williams (@frxnwilliams) November 4, 2020
last day before lockdown and i’m standing in a forty person queue outside Zara...
— . (@lidlbich) November 4, 2020
Retailers such as John Lewis, Currys PC World and toy chain the Entertainer have all extended their opening hours in order to cope with the surge in demand ahead of the new restrictions.
Cary Grant, boss of the Entertainer, told the BBC that it was "just like Christmas". His 173 shops are extending their hours until 7pm or 8pm from 5.30pm and expect brisk trading right up until Wednesday night.
Shopping centres in particular have seen a big rise in the number of customers through their doors, with a 19.9% increase on Tuesday. High Streets and retail parks followed with a 19.1% and 18.4% uplift.
Latest Stories
-
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
2 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
2 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
2 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
2 hours -
Man Utd agree ÂŁ70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
3 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
3 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
3 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
3 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
4 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
5 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
5 hours