The global coronavirus pandemic has shown a wide range of symptoms – from muscle cramps to hives – but some of the strangest yet have been observed in a couple of doctors from Wuhan Central Hospital, in China.
Dr Yi Fan and Dr Hu Weifeng, both 42, were diagnosed on the same day – January 18. They became critically ill and spent weeks in hospital.
While there, their skin turned black in the fight against the deadly disease.
Chinese state broadcaster CCTV reports that Dr Yi, a cardiologist, recovered from Covid-19 after doctors hooked him to a life-support machine for 39 days.
Dr Yi told CCTV that he had made an almost full recovery. He still wasn’t able to walk unaided but was sitting up and talking.
He told a reporter: “When I first gained consciousness, especially after I got to know about my condition, I felt scared. I had nightmares often.”
He said the battle with coronavirus had affected his mental health, as well as his physical condition, and he needed counselling as part of his recovery.
His colleague, Dr Hu, had an even harder struggle. Dr Li Shusheng, who treated him, said that Hu’s mental health suffered greatly as a part of his fight with coronavirus.
Dr Li said that the change in the doctors’ skin colour was probably a result of some of the medication used in their treatment, although he didn’t specify which medicine was involved.
He said that he expected both medics’ skin colour to return to normal after the function of their livers improves.
The pair worked alongside Doctor Li Wenliang, who was warned by police against by police to “making false comments” about the pandemic, before dying of the disease on February 7. According to Chinese site Pear Video, his wife is due to give birth in June.
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- Resign and concentrate on your health; Ahanta West needs development – NDC tells Kojo Kum
- Government must engage labour on IMF deal – Austin Gamey
- Permit service personnel to teach you fire preventive measures – ADO2 Nartey
- We have burden-shared enough, government needs to show commitment – GRNMA
- Arrest made in killing of New Jersey council woman Eunice Dwumfour
- Government should brace itself for a possible showdown should it attempt salary reduction – GRNMA
- Fire burns Madina-Ritz junction again
- UCC’s Prof David Teye Doku named best Social Sciences and Humanities Scientist in Ghana
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Prudential Life Insurance targets informal sector with ‘Mekakrawa’ insurance policy
- STEM education: Afia Kobi SHS students build model aircraft to aid maritime surveillance
- Cigar smoked by Sir Winston Churchill nearly 80 years ago up for auction
- Bofoakwa Tano seal Ghana Premier League return after beating Eleven Wonders on penalties
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah
- Black Stars face USA in friendly on October 17